CHAPTER 30

Jasmine's POV 

With my stomach growling loudly, I flutter my eyes open to the brightness of the room and my awkward sleeping position.

My legs are all over the place with my head right on the space where Xavier is supposed to sleep.

I rise immediately, wondering where he went and if I was the cause of his sleeplessness. Obviously, he didn't sleep here.

Remembering how famished I am, I step down from the bed, typing the robe around my waist and slipping my feet into my flip flop which is on the soft pom pom rug beside the bed.

My eyes fly to the tray of food from last night reminding me of how he refused to eat anything last night despite my effort. I stalk towards it and open the food to see it is untouched. It is the way I left it last night.

I sigh deeply.

I should have known he wouldn't eat. I should have known I won't be able to persuade him. I understand people like this. Their fear of puking overrides the desire to eat.

Maybe I should persuade him more, right? Should I beg him? 

I just want him to try at least once. If I don't succeed, then I won't do it anymore. He should eat just this once and I will let him be, unless he stomachs my food like the other man from Chicago.

Uncaring about my empty stomach, I move out, striding quickly towards the kitchen. I just hope he is still around so I can make something fast for him to eat before heading out.

Smoking on an empty stomach is bad. 

A guard walks past me after bowing and I turn back to him. "Hey, is Xavier still around?"

He looks up. He is the same guy from that wedding day. The one I found familiar but couldn't recognize where exactly I know him from.

Now I know where I know him from. He was the one who pushed me that night in Chicago. He was the same person Xavier punched in the face for doing that to me.

Shyly, I smile and wave at him.

"The boss is around", he answers coldly then turns back on his heels to God knows where.

Wondering if he remembers that night too and if this is the reason why he is acting cold, I continue my journey to the kitchen. I push it open and signal to the maid to come closer.

"Do you know if Xavier is still around the house?" I demand from her immediately. 

"I'm not sure but he hasn't asked for his coffee yet", she answers, looking clueless.

I nod and bite my lower lip.

I should find him.

I shift my attention back to her. "Microwave the meal from last night and get me some bread to toast. I will be back in a jiffy", I mutter to her before walking back the way I come without waiting for her response.

Maybe he is still around. I need to persuade him to eat. If he can still eat the lasagna from last night, fine but if he can not, I don't mind toasting some bread for him or perhaps prepare something else really fast and simple.

Just before I get to the staircase, I see the guy from earlier who walks past me. I decide to ignore him too until an idea hits me.

What if he is going to wherever Xavier is? 

I twirl around instantly, watching him disappear into the Eastern part of the house, making me curious as to where that leads to. 

Without thinking, I follow him. The corridor leads out as I sight another building. When I notice he is about to turn around, I hid myself quickly, my curiosity intensifying, making me forget what might result from this if Xavier gets to know.

I just want to be sure he isn't going to where Xavier is. If that is confirmed, I will search for him elsewhere.

Suddenly, he disappears and I come out of my hiding, scanning the entire place. Just then, the entrance to the other building is closed and I race towards it.

That must be where he is going.

I get to the door and shove it open. There is no one in sight and a shiver of anticipation darts down my spine.

I move forward, sighting a staircase going downstairs towards another area. I step on the wooden staircase. Everything around here seems to be made of wood.

Careful for it not to make a sound to alert whoever is in there, I take another step gingerly and quietly. When I get to the landing, I find myself in a different area entirely. I glance around unsure of where exactly I am going to go or what I am doing here in the first place.

I begin to regret following him down here. I shouldn't get myself involved in whatever they are doing. I know I am curious about who Xavier really is but I shouldn't care. I will be out of here soon. As soon as Andre is found so I don't need to get myself involved in this.

Having a change of mind since I can't see anyone in sight, I decide to leave when a scream reaches my ears, making me halt in my tracks.

I flicked my eyes to the door where the sound seems to be coming from. Before I can do anything, another sound follows and another, followed by a loud cry.

Fear consumes me but curiosity is still eating at me.

Is Xavier in there? What is happening? Who is screaming? Is someone in need of help or pain? Is that guy from earlier doing things behind Xavier's back?

Before I know it, I find myself walking stealthily towards the door. It is a wooden door too and the noise is down now. All I can hear is whimpers of pain.

As soon as I am within range, I touch the doorknob and close my eyes for a second to brace myself for whatever is in there before turning it open.

Before me stands the guy from earlier with his cold eyes glaring hard at me and another guy and two others who look surprised to see me here.

There is someone else in the room apart from the person whimpering whose face I can't see.

The person's back is to me but I need no soothsayer to tell me who this is. His broad huge shoulder and the confidence emanating from his stance are enough to know that the man holding a thorny wipe is no one but Xavier.

The man I came in search of.

Slowly, he turns around to meet my eyes. His looks can kill and I know if I don't leave now, I might be the next person on that seat screaming my lungs off for help.

I let my gaze dart at the victim.

My eyes grow large when I recognize him. Before me sits a bloody Vicenzo with a smirk on his face despite the beatings.

My hands shake as I scoot backwards and my heart begins to beat wild within my ribcage as I make an effort not to let out a sound with my hands covering my mouth.

Instinctively, I turn around and race back to the wooden staircase and out of the terrifying building.

****
❤️

Air your views and don't forget to vote❤️