2

I woke up feeling disorientated, with a sting in my head and if that wasn't enough to annoy me the loud chirping of the birds and the ray from the sun disturbed my morning peace

I woke up feeling disorientated, with a sting in my head and if that wasn't enough to annoy me the loud chirping of the birds and the ray from the sun disturbed my morning peace. I released a low groan and turned my face the other way. I remained still on the bed with my eyes closed while I used the awakening opportunity to meditate on my day.

I threw the blanket off my body and went to the bathroom to get ready for work. I went with a gray pegged pants and a black long sleeve turtle neck top. I wrapped by curls into a bun and slipped into my shoes.

I went down to find the place empty and as usual quiet which meant they weren't back. My grumbling stomach reminded me of the sole reason why I came down.

"Woah! That scents heavenly" her groggy voice made me whip my head around. My eyes caught the deep bag under her eyes, her hair was in a mess and her face appeared swollen like she had cried her whole eyes out last night and instantly I felt bad for her but I flashed her a smile because I didn't want to ruin in the moment by feeling sad for her.

"It's your favorite; Mangú Tres Golpes" her eyes lit up in delight and she came to stand behind me. "You're really the best luna" she kissed my cheek which made me chuckle.

"Here" I slid a plate towards her direction and made myself comfortable on the chair. "T..this is delicious" she whispered as she chugged a spoonful in her mouth. I smiled at the compliment and filled my mouth with the tasty meal.

"You're so talented Luna, tell me, why haven't you opened a restaurant yet?" She asked and I released a silent breath before giving a reply.

"It has always been my desire to own a restaurant but that isn't part of the plan right now. We still have the bills to take care of, Raphael is expanding his business so we can have a stable source of income while Carina has invested in having her own hospital so I'd have to wait for a while and I'm fine with working as a chef at the hotel you know" I explained with a tight slipped smile while she blankly stared at me.

"Do you really have to sacrifice your dream for theirs?" A light chuckle left my mouth and I nodded in reply. "Raphael dropped out of college to see that we both finished college and now I have an opportunity to repay his big sacrifices so yes I really have to sacrifice. And you, what's your plan now that you've left Jake? You know he is going to come find you right?" She tore her gaze away from mine and sighed.

"I know that. I'd have to go back to Philadelphia" my brows ridged together in confusion and before I could ask my question she beat me to it. "My grandma lives there and he doesn't know about that, I need a place faraway from him, a place where I can think of what to do next" she whispered the last part.

"Mari, why don't you want to report Jake to the authorities?" I inquired and she looked away from me. Tears rolled down her eyes which she quickly wiped away. "I..it's nothing"

"Don't give me that shit. I know you don't want to tell me what it is but don't lie about it" I appealed and this time she didn't try to hold in her tears nor deny the truth behind my question.