Chapter 43 Your ex-wife

After many long days and nights of trying to get Siddharth to talk about his changed behaviour, Mara was frustrated with his stubborn avoidance. She knew something was bothering him, somehow related to Gyan's announcement. She broached the subject subtly and even directly to get a smile, a kiss on her forehead and a sweet "Don't worry, sweetheart". Siddhart would not budge, but that didn't mean she would give up. One night, when she visited his residence after spending a whole day with the wedding planner, she ran into his parents. She was not aware they were visiting him. She opened the door, hoping to find Siddharth alone, and his mother greeted her. Mara stood shocked at the entrance but covered her shock quickly with a smile. She welcomed his parents, spent a lovely evening with them, and kept them company until Siddharth returned. After his return, she politely excused herself and left them alone. Mara was disappointed and sad that her fiance didn't include her in his life. That night, when Siddhart called her to say good night, she wished him good night and was ready to disconnect the call. "Mara, I'm sorry", he declared."Sorry for what?" she asked, a little annoyed. "I should have called you to tell you about my parents' visit", he declared. "I'm sorry, I just... It slipped my mind, darling," he confessed. "Siddharth", she started but then sighed and declared. "It is ok. Don't worry about it. I need to go to bed now. I'm tired," she stated. "Good night," she said and disconnected the call. She was exhausted and had no energy to get into an argument or sit and explain to him how hurt she was feeling. She loved this man and was sure that he loved her too. But why she felt like there was a wall between them, she couldn't figure it out. She has given him the time and space, but something has changed in the last few weeks, and it was not good. This situation with him was giving her a lot of negative feelings. When she woke up and went down for breakfast the following day, Siddhart was waiting for her at the breakfast table, giving his father company. They seemed engaged in a deep conversation about some oppressive regime in some part of the world when she stepped in and stood gaping at them. She was pleasantly surprised and smiled at him. Siddarth stood up and smiled at her. "Did you sleep well, darling?" he asked, walking closer to her. Once he reached close enough, he pulled her close to him in a warm hug. "This is a pleasant surprise", she declared with a big smile. "I ...." he started "I didn't like how we ended our night." Mara sighed. "I didn't like it either" she confirmed. "Why don't we take today off and discuss things?" he recommended. "Sounds like a plan, but I have to visit the Wedding planner later today, and I can't miss that", she announced. "I will go with you, and we can keep sorting things out through the day while you plan. How about that?" he asked. Mara gave Siddharth a wide smile. "You don't like us not being in a good place, do you?" she asked. "No, I don't." he held her hand and kissed her palms. "I want us to be in a good place. Even if we cannot agree to many things, I want us to be good to each other," he announced. She gave in. "Alright, let's do it, but not without breakfast", she suggested, and Siddharth laughed. They enjoyed a good breakfast with her parents and then headed to the Garden to take a turn. Siddhart held her hand and kept glancing at her every few minutes. He knew she was upset with him and thought it was because of last night, but something in him said it was more than last night. "Talk to me, darling." he lightly poked her chin. Mara smiled and paused, then turned to face him as he faced her. "I don't like these secrets between us", she declared. "Mara, I swear I meant to tell you about the visit. It is just that they came without informing me, and I was trying to get them to be comfortable that I forgot....""I'm not talking about last night" Mara declared.Siddharth paused and looked confused. Mara sighed. "What is going on in your head since the family night out?" she asked. Siddharth immediately stiffened. "Nothing", he stated defensively and moved away from her. "Nothing, my foot", Mara announced, shocking Siddharth, who glared. "Oh, please stop this. You are not scaring me. Your denial, body language, tone, voice, every ounce of you is betraying you and announcing to me that you are hiding something. And I want to know what it is." She stared right at him until he gave in and sighed. Siddharth ran a hand through his hair. "Mara, it is nothing, I .... I don't want to ... I will sort it out, ok. You don't have to worry about anything. It is in the past and doesn't concern us. I promise you I will take care of it....""Is it an "It" or is it a "she?" Mara asked, shocking Siddharth. I know you are not cheating on me. She must be someone you know. Someone from your past, an ex ...." She began.Siddharth's face displayed shock and disbelief, and his mouth hung open. "I know no woman in your past can do this to you except..." Mara glared at him. "Except for your ex-wife: she concluded. Mara stared at him in anger and despair as his facial expression transformed into a strange mix of pain and anger, confirming her fear. "So I'm right, it is your ex-wife", she stated, and her body shrank as she broke their eye contact. Siddharth stepped forward and pulled her close to him. She did not fight or argue. "She is never coming between us, Mara. I promise you that," he announced vehemently. "But she already has Sid. If she is on your mind, then she is in your life. Tell me. Just tell me the truth. Whatever it is, I will take it." She confessed. "Your brother's girlfriend", Siddharth stated. Mara pushed out of his embrace and glared at Siddharth. "Raiza", she declared. Siddharth nodded. "No" she whispered. "Mara, I have never given you the names and identities of my wife, but you know everything I told you. I have not hidden anything from you except the sordid details that probably is a good idea to tell you now," he declared.