Chapter 35 A death

Raiza woke up in pain. She felt like something inside her was dead. When she opened her eyes, her first thought was "Siddharth".

She groaned "Sid. Sid are you there" she called.

A stranger dressed in scrubs patted her head and then touched her forehead "Relax Raiza, you are in the OT. We need you to calm down" she advised

"What?" Raiza's mind registered the room. She felt a strange, dull sensation in her lower body. 

"What are you doing?" "Who are you?" she tried to move, but her lower body was useless. 

"What's happening" The panic set in as she slowly realized where she was.

"Calm down dear" a lady in scrubs with a face mask cajoled her. "You are in the operation theatre we had to wake you up for a few minutes to check for your vitals. You will be all right, relax you will be out of here soon" she spoke in a soft, comforting voice.

"My baby" she questioned

"It's a girl she is fine. She will be waiting for you when you wake up. Relax now and go back to sleep" the doctor told her.

The sound of a stage warning bell rang in her head as she drifted away all she heard was "Doctor, the baby.." and then she was unconscious.

Raiza was in the operating room for more than three hours. Siddharth was losing his mind watching her sprawled out like that, and his child halfway stuck had turned him insane. The operation door opened, and a nurse walked out. Siddharth stood up and walked towards her.

"Are you the patients relative?" she asked.

"I'm her husband" he declared a little frustrated.

"Sir, please go to room three the doctor wants to talk to you" he pronounced detached.

"How is my wife? how is my child?" Siddharth asked.

"Sir, please go meet the doctor" the nurse repeated before disappearing into the OT.

Siddharth walked into the consulting room and greeted the doctor.

"Raiza is my wife" he declared.

"Hi" the doctor greeted him standing up. "Dr Ardhan" he introduced himself.

"How is she?" Siddharth asked, cutting through the chase.

"She is not good" he declared.

"Your wife is bleeding out" he added looking cautiously at Siddharth. He knew he shouldn't mince words with a man like him but what he was about to say was not pleasant.

"Give it to me straight doctor" Siddharth ordered.

"Your daughter is in critical care. We don't know if she would survive," he announced.

Siddharth's fist tightened.

"Your wife has a chance to survive" he added before he was interrupted.

"She needs surgery" he declared

"Then do it. Save Raiza" Siddharth announced

"If we do the surgery, she will never be able to conceive again" he announced.

Siddharth got up and walked to the main door paused and turned around "Save her at all cost" he announced and walked out. Siddharth crashed on the seat, his head in his hands and cried. He was hurting for leaving his wife, his Raiza alone.

In the operating theatre, Raiza was stitched up and gained consciousness.

"My baby," she asked and drifted back into unconsciousness, but before she passed out, she heard the one thing that ripped her heart into pieces.

"Should we tell her?" a nurse asked.

"No, not yet" the doctor declared.

"She will know at some point" the nurse retorted with a sniff.

"Yes but not at this point" the doctor declared and then walked out.

Outside the waiting room, Siddharth heard one piece of news he didn't want to hear from the attending nurse.

"Sir, please sign this" she requested.

"How did she die?" Siddharth asked.

"Sir, like I said the baby was stuck, her heart stopped beating for a long time. When the doctor resuscitated her, she slipped into a coma we couldn't save her" the nurse declared.