Chapter 22: The Call

Gyan woke up as the alarm blared. He shut the alarm and sat up in his bed as a whiff of a familiar fragrance struck his olfactory senses. The picture of Raiza formed in his mind and with it came the overwhelming emotions he felt for her. He looked at the scarf she left behind in his car. He had called her to let her know she left it. She had been surprised at her forgetfulness. Gyan had been secretly glad, he now has an excuse to meet her again. He hoped he didn't need excuses anymore but he was glad he had one.

Their emotional bonding had started to grow slowly but surely. They hadn't talked about their feelings but had met for many lunches and dinners in the past few weeks. She seemed to be opening up to him.

"Raiza" Gyan sighed. His body reacted to just the name and came alive. He groaned "Shit I'm acting like a teenager"

The soft ring of his mobile snapped him out of his reverie.

"Ara" He greeted.

"You have to come now" Arabella sobbed.

"Shit, what happened?" Gyan questioned as anxiety built within.

"Usra" she broke down.

His mind created images of horrors he couldn't word. "Where are you? He asked.

"St Martha's Hospital" she replied in a soft voice.

"I'm coming" he stated and cut the call. He didn't bother to ask what happened. He knew it was nothing simple.

Gyan quickly showered and changed. Within 20 minutes he was in his car driving to the hospital. He reached the reception and inquired about Usra, they gave him the emergency room details. Gyan thanked the receptionist and rush in the direction she pointed.

The waiting room was almost empty except for an old couple who were huddled in the corner. He approached the shift nurse. "I'm here for Usra" He stated. She looked at him and quickly typed the name in her system. "The patient is in surgery, please wait" she directed. Gyan nodded and then walked to the chair. He fished out his phone and dialled Ara's number.

"Gyan" a feeble voice called.

Lifting his head Gyan's eyes landed on Ara in a lavender dress that was half-covered in blood. A band-aid on her forehead and scratches on her legs and forearms.

"What happened?" he questioned as he closed the distance between them.

"We had an accident" she declared and hugged him. She was still shivering. Gyan knew for sure it was pure shock and she needs to rest.

"Usra?" he questioned.

"Surgery" she replied. "Doc said glass is embedded in her neck and shoulder. The left side has multiple fractures" she added.

Gyan pulled her into his warm embrace. "I'm here now don't stress" he assured. They sat down in the waiting room for the surgery to complete. It might have been an hour when the emergency room opened and 2 surgeons walked out along with a Nurse.

"Miss Arabella" she called.

Both Gyan and Ara sprang up. "How is she? " Ara asked.

"Unconscious" One of them replied. "If she gains her senses by the end of the day. She will pull through." the second surgeon added. "In any case, we have done what we can. Now we have to wait 24 hours" they concluded.

Ara froze and almost collapsed into Gyan. "she is going to be fine" she repeated to herself continually. Gyan pulled her to the sofa in the waiting room and made her sit there comfortably.

"Have you eaten? " He questioned. 

"She is fine she will be fine" she kept changing.

"Ara" Gyan shook her. Dazed eyes stared into his concerned eyes. Tears threatened to spill. Gyan took a deep breath. "Usra will be fine" he cajoled her. "Killing yourself won't help her" he chided. "Stay here I'm going to get us something to eat" he suggested, then looking at Ara's state he changed his mind. "Better still let's go and eat" he pulled her up.

"No" she snapped. "I'm not leaving her"

Gyan sighed "Common babe you aren't helping her. She is in the ICU. She is unconscious. We will go eat and be back in no time" he pleaded with her. She looked sceptical. "Do you want to faint before she is able to gain her senses? " He asked.

Ara sighed as her shoulders slumped. "let's go" she quietly declared.

Gyan quickly pulled her and got her in the elevator before she could change her mind. By the time they got out of the hospital and into the nearest restaurant, Ara had calmed down. For the most part, she was silent, playing the accident in her head in repeat mode.

As they placed the order quite a number of heads turned at Ara's blood-stained dress. Gyan returned the snobbish stares with contempt. Soon their order was served and Ara wolfed the food without noticing what she ate.

Their ride back to her place, for a quick shower and change, was filled with complete silence. He waited for her patiently without a single comment. The shower and change of clothes made Ara feel human again. She left the blood-stained dress on the bathroom floor and made a mental note to take care of it later.

"let's go" she declared to Gyan who was waiting for her. Well aware of her need to be near Usra, he simply followed her desire. Their ride back to the hospital was getting on her nerves.

"Damn traffic" she cursed.

"Why don't you tell me what happened this morning? " Gyan questioned to keep her distracted

"We were on our way to a wedding" She began after a few minutes of silence. "A truck rammed into our side. She was sitting right next to the door and took the impact. My car toppled we were pinned under. I watched her lose her consciousness. Our driver got out and called the cops and ambulance." she shivered remembering the event.

Gyan held her hand "She will be fine. I promise" he reassured her. "We fought this morning before the...... Accident" she shuddered. "We were arguing when the truck hit us" she confessed. "if things go wrong that will be the last thing we did... Fight" She broke down

Gyan squeezed her hand. "She will be alright" he stated vehemently. He knew how much Ara loves Usra and he didn't want to think of what would happen to her if things took the wrong turn.