Chapter 36 The Rip

"Siddharth... Sid.." Raiza woke up in the hospital in pain.  A nurse walked up to her with an injection. Before the injection was given Raiza caught her hand and squeezed with all her might.  "Where is my baby?" She asked. The nurse untangled her hand and quickly injected the sedative. A deranged Raiza sobbed "Where is my baby" she asked once more before falling back on her pillow unconscious.  The next time she woke up she was groggy and felt like her body was hit by an oil tanker. She was alone and in darkness. "Hello..." she whispered softly with great difficulty. She didn't know if her voice was heard. She wasn't sure if she should call again. "Hello is... " she stopped mid-sentence to clear her throat. She was thirsty and in pain. She didn't know it was day or night. She wasn't sure if she was even alive. "Maybe I'm in hell" she wondered. "Maybe this is how hell feels full of pain". Not wanting to go further into her dark thoughts she called out again, this time a little loudly "Heelllloooo..." and was overcome by a cough. 

A warm hand reached out to raise her head up from the pillow and then adjusted her in a way to support her upper body to be raised a little so she could cough without her ribs tearing apart. Her vision was blurry but her nose picked up the familiar fragrance of his perfume. Relief flooded her mind and body "Sid..." she called his name softly. 

He groaned and didn't reply. He had been dreading her waking up and her never waking up. When he heard a soft "Hello" he knew she was awake and wanted to run to her. He almost had but then stopped. He was not sure how things stand between them. He wanted to hold her in his arms and comfort her but the guilt was ripping him from inside. He had just lost his whole world. He felt like shit and knew well enough that his life was over. 

"Sid.. " she called again. "Please talk to me" she pleaded and broke down in tears from pain and something painful she was not aware of. A heaviness was burdening her heart and she was not sure why. He sighed and slowly pulled her into an embrace. "I'm here," he said softly, his voice hoarse with pain, guilt and fear. She tried to turn to face him but he stopped her by holding her close to him with both his arms. "Rest my love" he spoke in her ears "There is time for everything else. Go back to sleep I will be right here by your side when you wake up" he assured her rocking softly. Soon her body relaxed and her breathing evened out. It was not long before she had fallen back to sleep. 

It had been three days since he had rushed her to the hospital and she was kept under heavy sedatives to let her body heal. He knew one thing for sure from the moment she would wake up she will hate him and that will be the end of his world. Somewhere in his heart, he was holding a ray of hope that she may forgive. But he knew her, he knew himself. They will never be able to forgive each other. They were over, this was the end of the road for them. 

Riaza had woken up the next day late in the afternoon but was in so much pain that she had to be sedated. Siddharth left her side after that to go home and shower. He hadn't slept or eaten for three days. He needed to shower and change his clothes which had started to stink. The nurses had begged him to go home and clean up. They had pushed him out of the hospital room warning him that he will not be let inside unless he cleans himself up. Not wanting to cause more trouble he left Raiza went home showered and changed clothes and immediately went back to the hospital. On the way, he called his parents and informed them of all that transpired in the three days. His father was devastated. "My grandchild didn't survive?" he stated bluntly and then passed the phone to his mother. Sid heard his mom informing him about his father's shock but Siddhart was beyond any care. He mutters an unemotional goodbye and drove straight to the hospital. Once he had parked the car in the basement he went up to Raiza's room and fixed himself on a chair next to her bed. 

He waited for her to wake up steeling himself to tell her everything. If she has to hate him let her do it from the moment she woke up and they can go their separate ways. But he didn't know when he had fallen asleep, his body was overwhelmed with all that had happened and the emotional drain left him exhausted. he drifted off into darkness sitting on the chair and resting his head at her feet on the bed. When Raiza woke up again the pain had subdued. It was a constant hum in her lower back and legs. But it was not as bad as it was earlier. She didn't move though she opened her eyes and stared at the ceiling trying to make herself comfortable with the pain so that she didn't make a sound. She didn't want to be put back to sleep again. She wanted to stay awake and she wanted to talk to her husband. Raiza took a deep breath and moved her body slowly. "Hands moved, the head moved, feet ... Oh what is this?" she thought and slowly peeped around her body at the feet. "Sid..." she whispered and smiled watching him resting his head at her feet while he was sitting on a rolling chair almost about to fall off. Not able to sit up she slowly moved her legs trying to wake him up with her feet. 

Siddhart was deep in a dark pool when he felt something hitting his hand. He didn't want to open his eyes. Whatever it was it could wait his mind cajoled him. But the continued soft tapping finally got his attention and he opened his one eye with a groan. "Sid... Sid. SID wake up" he heard Raiza's voice and immediately his sleep disappeared. He shot up and reached her in one long stride and checked her head and the rest of her body for injuries. "Are you alright?" he questioned. She smiled and his heart melted. "You think that is the right question for someone in a hospital bed?" she asked. He chuckled a soft and gruff sound that halted in the midway. His sleep and her smile had played tricks on his mind to make him believe things were alright. But the realization hit him and he sobered. 

Raiza seemed confused, not sure what was happening he was ok a moment and now he wasn't and suddenly it hit her this was Siddhart her husband who can turn into a cold dead body from a warm loving person. Her mind was filled with some of the past events with them fighting. Him embarrassing her in front of his friends and suddenly her heartbeat turned erratic. "Calm down Raiza, darling please" he pleaded. He was not sure what was running through her mind but his action had triggered her. He moved closer to her by softening his voice and his face, appearing non-threatening. "Darling please listen to my voice. Everything is ok. Everything is alright. please my love calm down...." he cooed to her. A soft tone and a half-loving smile did the trick she started breathing deeply and slowly and the erratically beeping heart monitor stabilized. Soon a nurse walked in as Siddhart sat at Raiza's bedside and held her hand and caressed her cheeks. 

"Is everything alright?" The nurse asked. then noticing Raiza she moved to her "Oh you are awake, good." she stated. "How are you feeling?" she asked. Raiza didn't answer, she simply looked at Siddhart. He took the clue and replied, "She just woke up". he stated, "still a little dazed and confused". "Well let me give her a once over," the nurse said and slowly started to draw the glows on her hand indicating to Siddhart he had to step out. 

"I will be back in 5 minutes darling" he whispered in Raiza's ears. "I will sneak in your favourite tea. Be good and let the lady Hitler give you a once over" he pleaded with a wink. Raiza smiled at him and nodded. Siddhart left Raiza and walked out of the room to get her tea and for himself a strong coffee. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note:

I'm sorry for not being able to publish anything. I was occupied with work and was working on getting my first book published. Thanks to Amazon and Notion Press My first book End Of yugas - Book 1 Maya Mohini is now online. 

Here are the links for anyone interested. 

Amazon: https://www.amazon.in/s?k=end+of+yugas&i=stripbooks&crid=1M0I5IFUVX7VV&sprefix=End+of+yugas%2Cstripbooks%2C222&ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_12_ts-doa-p

Notion Press: https://notionpress.com/read/end-of-yugas-series