Interlude - Imperfect immortality

Immortality: The ability to live forever.

This is how immortality is defined.

Is that truly correct?

Human lives are infinitesimally short compared to someone who is considered "immortal".

So why are humans given the power to define something that they cannot fully comprehend?

The true is?

They shouldn't.

What about the gods? 

They can live forever right?

We'll discuss this later. Let's take a longer path to our goal.

Let's define the lifespan of the gods.

The previous god of knowledge lived for 176 years in their position. 

The previous god of war lived for 313 years in their position.

Nowhere near the eternity necessary.

What about the gods of life and death?

Clever.

The gods of life and death usually live the longest.

Not because through their nature they can control their own existence, no.

They have roles that are mandatory. Roles that this world can't live without.

All the gods have control over their life in some way. Only choosing to leave the world when they've decided that their life doesn't hold anymore meaning.

All the gods have the ability to live forever.

They just choose not to.

Is this immortality?

After their death, Asriel, Prince of the Astral Plains would guide their remaining light to the fields of twilight. To let them shine forevermore.

The emptiness of the missing god would quickly be filled, as a pre specialized god would be chosen to take their place.

Some gods hold a great importance to their trade, their specialization. They would decide to keep on going, to keep living so they can complete their goal, whatever it might be.

The gods of life and death both hold this principle tightly.

They both would live far past a god with any other specialization.

Maybe this is because of the importance of the domain they preside over. 

The lack of a god of death or a god of life would send the world into a chaotic spiral.

Maybe it's because of their lineage, all their predecessors live for generations of gods. Maybe they have to keep face, to sustain their image.

Or maybe it's something deeper, maybe it's a core part of the royal family that keeps their will to keep going from quickly depleting.

Who knows.

Unfortunately, even the gods of life and death don't last. May it take centuries or millennia, they all would eventually pass on.

Is this your idea of immortality?

All these "gods" have the claim to immortality. 

They all can keep going.

If they choose to, they could live... Forever.

But they don't.

...

Why?

Hm. 

Let's see if you were paying attention.

It was the same thing that the original god fell to.

The true question is why did he pass down the trait?

That's for you to decide.

Anyway, I digress.

 I guess the gods and humans are both flawed in this way.

Maybe they would both be better if they strove for true immortality.

Something tells me however, even if they have immortality in their grasps, even if they can live forever.

They. Won't .

So let me change something.

Immortality: The will  to live forever.