The Thoughtless

Oh? Was the forest too dark?

Told you we would meet earlier than you thought.

Speaking of which, here's a random thought for you.

To these characters, you are like a 4th-dimensional being.

Assuming that the 4th dimension is time, a 4th-dimensional being would be able to freely navigate through time as easily as you walked or swam.

So your ability to go back and reread a chapter is a lot like how a 4th-dimensional being could move back in time, locate a specific moment in time, and then observe all details millisecond by millisecond.

It's just a thought.

Ah, pardon my rambling.

Hope you enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Thoughtless, as the name implies, are creatures devoid of thought as reason. They are completely made out of negative mass, able to erase any mass that comes into contact with it. This includes all things comprised of mass and magic, which is in basic terms, is a concentrated piece of energy originating from a organic lifeform. Unlike the theoretical anti-matter, The Thoughtless only consume organic creatures. Something in the organic creature's makeup allows it to be combined with the negative mass of a Thoughtless while inert substances like air and earth are not affected.

This means that the Thoughtless can freely interact with an inert substance and are shown to be incredibly powerful when trying to move an inert substance in their way. They are able to manipulate, bend, and break any constructs if it is necessary to reach their target.

They are extremely dangerous, do not attempt to fight one without proper precautions in place.

When coming into contact with these creatures, the negative mass combines with a source of positive mass and cancels out, removing equal parts of negative and positive mass.

The Thoughtless have a single goal that seems to be the only thing driving them forward. That is killing themselves, removing the negative mass from themselves.

As of this moment, the source of the Thoughtless is unknown. Were they once living, conscious beings? Who knows.

Some have theorized that these creatures were once living but were somehow infected and consumed by the negative mass, meaning that instead of having their mass erased, their mass was somehow replaced by the negative counterparts.

Whatever the process was, it broke them, shattering whoever they used to be into dust.

Perhaps their desire to remove the negative mass off themselves was derived from that moment of conversion.

These creatures, unlike commonly thought, do take up space.

The importance of that is they don't automatically pull things towards them like what would happen if a vacuum was created and then released. However, they do have a suction-like effect if they have already captured an organic. Like gravity, it would drag the rest of the organism into itself if not removed quickly enough.

 Removal requires cutting off the connection between The Thoughtless and the organism to separate the two. This is done by severing the joint or body part 5 inches away from the infected portion and needs to be immediately done after contact to ensure it doesn't completely pull the organism in.

The Thoughtless come through a dark portal at an astounding rate. If signs of these portals are sighted, please, notify a member of the royal family. Do not approach the portal alone, do not approach a portal after the battle, and DO NOT attempt to touch a portal after battle. 

After a battle with the Thoughtless is completed, the portal will remain for a random measure of time. During that time, a dozen or so Thoughtless could come through the portal. These stragglers can come alone or in a pair so stay on high alert until the portal is fully closed.

Interactions with the portal are not permitted as knowledge about the properties of said portals are still being tabulated. They could absorb organic material like the Thoughtless and the dimension that they open to is likely to be highly dangerous.

Magic is the most effective weapon against The Thoughtless.

The magic combines with their negative mass and cancels out so when coming into contact with magic, the Thoughtless will essentially have a piece of them deleted. Repeat this process until the Thoughtless is fully neutralized.

Our lead scientist is trying to create a kind of inverse anti-matter and a way to weaponize it to deal with the Thoughtless threat.

Theoretically, the inverse anti-matter, or I.A.M, would come into contact with the negative mass and would have a multiplicative effect. A negative times a negative equals a positive, which when put in this scenario would mean that the I.A.M would be creating mass.

For example, a sword is created out of this material. 

When piercing a Thoughtless, the sword would create an outer shell of matter, that mass would then be absorbed by the Thoughtless, reducing its negative mass. When the outer shell is absorbed, the Thoughtless would come back into contact with the I.A.M, creating more mass for the Thoughtless to absorb. This would create a cycle that eviscerates the Thoughtless as it continuously tries to absorb the mass.

End of File.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello, it's been a bit.

We've gotten quite a few readers here now, don't we?

From my calculations (looking at the views of each chapter after a day), there should be around 10 active readers of this story and around 6 who read new chapters immediately. 

Thanks for reading.

I have to go. At the time of publishing, it would be 11 pm at night and I don't wanna be dead tomorrow.

If you have any questions or criticism please let me know, it's all appreciated. 

That's it.

Remember to keep shining bright, my little stars!

It really has been a while hasn't it?

727 words, March 11, 2024