book one ❧ [i]

BOOK ONE

Reclined on the plush, soft grass of the front lawn of your college with your hands behind your head, you basked in a particularly lovely patch of sunlight. It was January, the very beginning of the year and the semester, meaning that this would normally be a very chilly and unpleasant endeavor. Except you were sandwiched between two dryads. Dryads weren't in and of themselves extra warm like dragons or werewolves, nor could one dryad on their own change the weather—and would most likely be influenced by it rather than the other way around—but if you got two together, and they were in a good enough mood, they could generate a little bubble of springtime around them. And for some reason, Jaemin and Donghyuck were in exceptionally high spirits today.

You knew the two dryads from Magical Botany Club, which you had joined your freshman year after you'd managed to kill the small cactus that your parents gave you as a housewarming present for your dorm. They were the only ones who didn't immediately label you a lost cause, and instead saw you as a challenge. Now, your junior year, your apartment was a jungle to rival that of a dryad's home, and you were even Vice President of the club this year.

After a long, refreshing inhale followed by an even longer exhale, you finally asked, "So what's got you in such a good mood? It certainly can't just be finalizing the calendar of club activities this semester."

Jaemin was club President, and Donghyuck the Secretary/Treasurer, so this little sunbathing session before the start of the semester on Monday was really supposed to be an Executive Board meeting.

"Who, us?" Jaemin replied innocently.

"No, I was talking to the cardinal on Donghyuck's leg," you retorted sarcastically, gesturing to said bird that had also settled in to enjoy the cozy rays.

"We're not planning anything," Donghyuck said in the same tone as Jaemin.

You propped yourself up on one elbow to look down at your friend properly, narrowing your eyes at him suspiciously. "I just wanted you to share whatever good news you had, I didn't think you two were planning anything, but now I definitely do. What's going on?"

"Donghyuck, you idiot!" The other dryad hissed at him.

"What is it? Don't tell me you and that fairy are going to try to convince your human friend that aliens are real again. Leave that poor guy alone, he's got enough on his plate just dealing with all of you being real and jerks to him." You scoffed disapprovingly, remembering when they recounted that story to you at club a couple years ago. You had been tempted to check on Renjun yourself when you spotted him at the library the next day, but you didn't know him personally, and didn't think he'd appreciate it in the moment. Especially not since he looked like he was really focused on his work at the time, so you just let him be.

"It's nothing like that, I swear," Jaemin promised. "It's nothing bad at all."

You sat up all the way to be able to look at both of them at once. "Okay, what is it then?"

Donghyuck sat up too, the cardinal hopping up to his shoulder. "Long story short, we have a friend that we want to set you up with."

"No thanks, guys." You shook your head.

"You won't even let us tell you about him?"

"I'm not really looking for anything right now. Not after my ex—"

Jaemin pushed his phone screen in front of your face then, a picture of a guy on it. It was presumably the friend they wanted to set you up with. He was around your age, tall—if where his head was in comparison to the doorway of this building was to be believed, wearing a black leather jacket. It looked well-worn, though, as if it might not have been his originally, handed down or thrifted at least. And yeah, he was cute, you weren't blind. But you also knew not to just eat with your eyes, or else you'd get a tummyache.

changer ❧ j.sc | ✔On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara