book one ❧ [ii]

Two weeks later and you were nervously double-checking the name of the restaurant and the time that Jeno had sent you. Yep, this was it, and you weren't weirdly early. You couldn't believe how strange this felt, going on a date again. Comparing your outfit to the casual café as you walked in, you felt only a little better that you weren't overdressed or underdressed either.

Your eyes scanned the building for Sungchan. You'd done enough cyberstalking on your own time in addition to the photos that your friends kept showing you to hype you up that you were certain you'd recognize him easily. It looked like you'd gotten here first. It was seat-yourself, so you might as well grab a table for the two of you.

You'd just come to a stop in front of a little two-seater and took your purse off to hang off the back of your chair.

"Y/N?" A voice came from behind you, accompanied by a gentle tap on your shoulder.

You spun around, immediately face-to-chest with someone. Looking up, you did, in fact, recognize the face of Jung Sungchan. He was admittedly cuter in real life than in the multitude of pictures that Jaemin and Donghyuck had continued to show you in preparation for the date. You didn't want to know what they'd been doing to prepare Sungchan.

"Hi, Sungchan?" You still phrased it like a question, watching as the man's features relaxed into an easy smile of recognition.

"Yes, hello." He raised his arms up slightly at the same time that you did, and you realized that the both of you were now presumably having the same internal debate about if you were supposed to hug your blind first date hello as a greeting.

Ultimately, the two of you did go in for an awkward short hug, and you let out a nervous chuckle, feeling the warmth radiating off of him in the brief contact. You immediately looked down at the table, "Uhm, should we sit?"

"Of course, yeah."

And as the two of you sat down on opposite sides, you looked up from your fidgeting fingers to your date's face, not expecting his brow to be furrowed as if he were troubled by something, his gaze affixed on you.

You shifted in your seat uncomfortably. "Is everything okay?"

"You're not wearing any perfume..." He commented, and you let out a minuscule sigh of relief. That's all it was, he was just a bit put off that you hadn't put on a perfume like one might've normally done for a date. A detail that he would've of course picked up as a werewolf.

"Not that I expect any brownie points for this, but I uh, I didn't want to overwhelm your nose, in case there were any smells you're particularly sensitive to," you explained, picking up the menu that was already sitting on the table.

"You did your research."

"Oh, I've dated a couple werewolves before, actually."

"Really? You got a type or something?" As soon as the word were out of Sungchan's mouth, he went to take them back, seeming surprised even at himself, "Sorry, that was—"

"No, no, I get it," you cut off his apology, your tone reassuring. You knew that there were people who had a disturbing preference for werewolves, so you could understand why you dating now three werewolves might initially look a little suspicious. "Uh, I went to a kind of small high school. Private school. There were a couple of packs in my area that sent like all of their kids there, so my graduating class ended up being like 75% werewolves. It was just kind of statistics, I guess."

"Oh, okay. Sorry about that, again," Sungchan apologized once more, relaxing in his seat a bit more as he actually started to peruse his own menu.

"Anyway, that's not a great first date topic." You forced out a light-hearted chuckle.