book one ❧ [viii]

Rocking back and forth from your heels to your toes nervously, you kept your eyes trained on the apartment door in front of you. Sungchan knocked on it. Your actions were stopped by your friend grabbing your arm and pulling you back down to flat feet.

"Y/N, I told you it's going to be fine, seriously. They're your friends, too," he reminded you for probably the twelfth time that day.

When he'd randomly texted you earlier that morning asking if you wanted to go to Jeno's birthday party with him tonight, you were very hesitant to accept. Mostly because you hadn't received an invite from the birthday wolf himself. But after some more pestering from Sungchan, you gave in. Maybe if you didn't have such a weak heart, you would've been firmer on your no. But instead, here you were, having signed your name under Sungchan's on the birthday card the two of you bought on your way over, a gift card tucked inside with enough money pre-loaded on it to cover a nice meal for Jeno and his girlfriend.

"Then why didn't he—" Your whispered question was cut off by the door swinging open, the bright smile of Lee Jeno greeting you.

"Hey guys, come on in!" The werewolf opened the door even wider, not seeming surprised at all to see you there next to Sungchan. He gave the both of you hugs after closing the door behind you.

You patted his back in the hug, offering a sheepish smile, "Hey, Jeno, Happy Birthday. Sorry to just show up. Sungchan insisted it was fine..."

"Oh, don't worry about it! Everyone knows if we're inviting Sungchan that we're inviting you, too. It's cool." He said brightly. "You want something to drink?"

Trying not to get stuck on that little information bomb he'd dropped so casually, you looked around the fairly packed apartment, recognizing most everyone who was there, including a couple people by the drinks table. "You know, I see Jaemin and Donghyuck over by the drinks, I'll go get it myself. Thank you, though, and Happy Birthday again."

Jeno perked up in a different direction as if he'd heard his name being called—which he very well could've with his superior hearing—and he took off, disappearing into the kitchen. You'd been to Jeno and Jaemin's place a few times before, mostly to hang out with Jaemin over the time that you'd known the dryad from Bot Club, and more recently, a couple times for group hangouts since Jaemin, Jeno, Jeno's girlfriend, and Sungchan were all friends.

"I'm going to get some food," Sungchan nodded towards the same direction Jeno had gone in. "Want anything?"

You stood on your tiptoes, unable to discern any of the options they had available, other than the fact there would be a lot of it to feed the werewolf guests. "Just get extra of whatever you think I'll like, I'm not very hungry right now."

"On it."

While he went to do that, you made your way across the living room to the two dryads you had spotted earlier, both standing by the drinks table.

"Hey..." You said, still feeling awkward despite Jeno's easy acceptance of you.

"Y/N! Hey!" Donghyuck greeted you cheerily.

"You made it!" Jaemin gave you a one-armed hug.

"Sounds like you were expecting me then?"

"Well, yeah." Donghyuck said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world (which was bewildering to you, considering you didn't even know you were coming until this afternoon).