-Sweet As A Lullaby-

A/N: "Lavenders Blue" Piano Cover  (Nightmare One-shot)

Keefe's POV: 

I jolted awake, my heart pounding against my chest. Sweat dripped down my forehead as I tried to catch my breath. I quickly glanced around my dark room, relieved to find it to be safe and sound. It had only been a nightmare. The dream felt so real, even though it wasn't. It was so dark, everything felt like it was closing in around me. Hope was gone, I was lost and alone. Then I saw her lying motionless. My sweet Foster was gone. I ran up to her and just cried my eyes out, wishing she wasn't gone. Then my mother's face suddenly appeared in the darkness. All I could see was a knife, her eyes, and her evil smile. Her eyes were red, filled with pure evil.

I held onto Sophie and just cried. "You'll always be useless," my mother had said very creepily, my dream broke me, my evil mother that is such a heartless, manipulative villain. She threatened to hurt my dear Foster, the girl that had stolen my heart, and she did just that. I've never felt so helpless in my life. My heart ached at the mere thought of Sophie being in danger because of him.

Unable to shake off the fear that gripped me, I grabbed a shirt and threw it on, as I was only wearing comfy shorts. Racing out of the heartless tower that is supposedly home but isn't really. I needed to make sure Foster was safe. Something inside of me told me my heart won't settle unless I knew for sure. Even though it's common sense that she would be sleeping safe and sound in her bed. As it is 3 in the morning.

As I rushed through the moonlight paths out to the Leapmaster, his mind replayed the terrifying images from his nightmare. I recalled my mother's laughter, cold and devoid of any love or compassion. I hate how terrible my life is, I don't deserve this. Whispering Havenfield I stepped into the light and its beautiful scenery came into view.

Scanning the beautiful building, searching for signs of trouble. The soft glow of the moon on the trees provided a sense of comfort, but he couldn't shake off the lingering fear that clung to him.

Then he saw Foster. Seems to me it was one of those nights where she couldn't sleep. Those seem to happen often. 

She was below a tree, her blonde hair shimmering under the moonlight. As i approached, I noticed a slight tremor in her hands. Had she, too, been affected by his nightmare? I hope not.

"Sophie," I called, my voice a mixture of relief and concern. "Are you okay?"

Sophie looked up; her vibrant brown eyes filled with concern. "Keefe, what's wrong? You look terrified."

Breathing heavily, I took a deep breath, trying to steady my racing heart. "I had a nightmare," I admitted, my voice barely above a whisper. "It was about my mother... hurting you."

Sophie's eyes widened with understanding. "Oh, Keefe. I'm so sorry you had to experience that."

Unable to contain his anxiety any longer, I collapsed onto the grass next to Sophie. She wrapped her arms around me in a comforting embrace. The warmth of her touch helped dispel some of my fears, but the nightmares still haunted me.

"I can't get the images out of my head," I confessed, my voice choked with emotion.

Sophie sighed softly and began to sing. Her voice was like a soothing balm, lifting the weight of darkness that plagued my heart. She sang "Lavenders Blue," the lullaby that had become their own special melody.

"Lavenders blue dilly, dilly, lavenders green, when I am king dilly, dilly you shall be queen. Who told you so dilly, dilly, who told you so. Twas my own heart dilly, dilly. That told me so. Call up your men dilly, dilly, set them to work. Some to the plow dilly, dilly some to the fork. Some to make hay dilly. dilly some to cut corn. While you and I dilly, dilly keep ourselves warm."

"Lavender's green, dilly, dilly, lavender's blue. If you love me dilly, dilly I will love you. Let the birds sing dilly, dilly and the lambs play we shall be safe dilly, dilly, out of harm's way. I love to dance dilly, dilly I love to sing. When I am queen dilly, dilly you'll be my king. Who told me so dilly, dilly who told me so. I told myself dilly, dilly, I told me so."

As the sweet notes flowed from her lips, I felt a sense of calm wash over me. Sophie's voice cocooned me in a bubble of safety, erasing the nightmares and replacing them with love and warmth.

We sat together, wrapped in each other's embrace, until the first light of dawn peeked through the branches. The nightmare had receded into the shadows, replaced by the knowledge that they would face whatever obstacles came their way, together.

In that moment, as the song reached its gentle conclusion, I knew that no matter what nightmares haunted me, I would always find solace in the arms of my sweet Foster. 

Sophie's POV:

After finishing the human lullaby, Keefe fell sound asleep with a small smile on his face. I carefully tucked him in without waking him up and lay down next to him, not quite ready to leave. I kissed his forehead and whispered,

"I love you, Keefe." Soon, I fell asleep myself. 

---------------------------------------------------

*EDITED*

Keep Being Cool

-KotLC183