Chapter 23

Tyler headed up the stairs of the house with a smile on his face. He had a surprise for Jenna. He stopped in the doorway of her room and looked inside.

Jenna was seated in the rocking chair their father had just recently bought for her in front of the window, her hands resting on her belly as she looked out over the lake. She was seven months along now, and she looked beautiful, but he could sense the underlying sadness that had been her constant companion since he'd picked her up in New York City.

"Jenna?"

She turned to look at him and gave him a smile that never reached her eyes. "How was work?"

"Good. I helped deliver a baby today," he said, his critical eye assessing her tired state.

"I didn't know you delivered babies." She rubbed her hand across her own belly and smiled again.

"This one came much faster than the mother was expecting, so it was an emergency delivery. But it went well." Tyler walked into her room and sat on her bed. "Jenna, would you like to go to Texas with me?"

"What?" her mouth dropped open. "When? Why?"

Tyler laughed at her excitement. "I have to go for a seminar. We'd leave Tuesday morning of next week and return Thursday evening."

"And it's okay that I come?" She gripped the arms of the chair, ready to jump up and dance. She'd barely been out of the house since she'd moved back home.

"I wouldn't have asked if it wasn't. So do you want to go?"

"Of course I do!" She stood up and hugged him. A few days away would be welcome, and she'd never been to Texas.

Tyler hugged her back, thrilled he'd seemed to ease her sadness for a bit. "I'll bring your suitcase up on Monday then so you can pack."

***

Jenna plopped down on a bench Wednesday morning and sighed. The Texas heat was no joke. She and Tyler had flown in yesterday and gotten settled in their hotel. Today, he was in his seminar, and she had the entire day to explore the quaint little town.

It was very picturesque. There was only one street with the convention center on one end and a few hotels on the other. Several small shops, cafes and pastry shops lined either side of the street.

Everything matched from the blue roofs, to the hydrangea bushes planted in the yards, to the winding stone paths leading up to each matching doorway.

Jenna wanted to explore each shop, but she knew as pregnant as she was, she'd be miserable before she was halfway through. Maybe one day she would get the opportunity to come back.

She lifted her feet and looked down at them. They were a little swollen. She'd chosen to wear flip flops out just in case. She'd sit for a bit, then continue her exploration.

She had already been inside three shops, including a souvenir shop where she's picked up something for her parents and brothers.

Everyone she had met so far had been incredibly nice and welcoming. Though she supposed for a tourist town, that was to be expected.

Jenna watched people wandering up and down the sidewalks. Some, she noticed, could pass for werewolves, and she wondered if they really were.

She spotted three men standing across the street in front of the dry cleaner who could easily pass for wolves. All three were exceptionally good looking. They were tall, and very ripped, their shirts stretched tightly across their massive chests.

They would occasionally speak to each other, but mostly, they just watched everyone. All three had been watching her, she noticed, though not openly.

"Luna, would you like some water?"