Shadows of Starlight

"I shall send one of my handmaidens in the morning to wake you for breakfast," Queen Arwen finished demurely.

"This is too much," I said rather haplessly. "You're too kind, my Queen. Thank you many times over for your generous hospitality."

"But of course," she assured me. "Most who stay here are elves and therefore don't need usual accommodations," she added. "It's a great pleasure to have you."

"And a greater pleasure indeed to be here," I finished, curtsying a little. She inclined her head and soundlessly closed the heavy wooden door.

I took a deep breath and sat on the edge of my bed. I reflected on the sheer enormity of everything—the bed was at least twice what I usually slept in, the walls soared up to an arch and a large bay window looked out on the city and the mountains beyond.

"My own view indeed," I said out loud, laughing a little. "And nobody can kidnap me up here." I opened the window to a stone balcony, which housed an earthen pot overflowing with the most fragrant flowers.

"Kidnapping?" said a voice behind me. "I would enjoy watching the attempt."

"You didn't knock," I observed, not turning around.

"I apologise," Legolas said.

"It is nighttime," I pointed out. "I very well could have been entirely undressed."

Legolas tilted his head slightly. Maybe I imagined it, but I think there might have been a sheer flush on his cheeks.

"But you weren't," he said wryly. "I knew you'd be outside."

"Fair guess," I said approvingly.

"It was a fair prediction," he corrected, stepping out to join me.

"What do you think, is it safe enough?" I teased. Legolas looked at me seriously.

"If not, I know every single manner of incapacitating an attacker with this flowerpot."

"Do we know," I said. "How interesting. I mean, I do have a bow with me, but I suppose that pales in comparison."

"A bow works as well," he assured me, laughing softly.

"What do you think happens if I die here, Legolas?" I asked, turning to face him.

"I cannot say for sure, but I dare say you would also die in your own world," he said. "But I will do my best to make sure that will not happen."

"Thank you for all of this," I sighed. "I have no idea how everything got so...complicated." 

"The will of the Valar will always come to pass," Legolas reminded me. "I have not done much."

"You have done much in my opinion, if that counts for something." I said, leaning into the stone railing.

"It counts for more than you think," he said, looking down at the faintly glimmering city below. "Far more than I would imagine."

I looked at him curiously, a pause filling the space between us.

"But we will have to set out rather soon, I'm afraid," Legolas continued, changing the subject entirely.  

"I wish that we could stay here indefinitely, existing as mere people in Gondor without any life decisions looming."

"You know we cannot, Gianna," Legolas sighed, the starlit sky reflected in his eyes. "As much as I would like to, there are circumstances which we cannot escape and people who must never know you are here."

"Legolas," I said gently. "Do not worry about me. I know how to defend myself and who to avoid."

"That is what I worry about," Legolas said, voice tinged with a tint of frustration. "If you take any risks, and you are hurt, or killed, or tortured, there is nobody else who can prevent the eventual spread of the Remnants, untied to promote the evil. There is no one else."