Much to Consider

King Aragorn was striding with purpose among his men, preparing to return to the city. Fortunately, they had not lost many men, which I was especially happy about since I was essentially the one that caused this to begin with.

"Will you accompany us to the city?" Aragorn asked, as he led his horse forward.

"I wish we could," Legolas said. "However, it is imperative that we return to counsel with my Father as well as Galadriel and Celeborn, before"--he glanced at me briefly--"before Gianna is called back."

"I nearly forgot that you were not of this world, Gianna," Aragorn remarked, sounding surprised. "That is understandable, then. In that case, should I not see you again, know that you have my deepest thanks and appreciation for all you did."

"I had much help, my King," I replied, "But thank you all the same. I am only glad I had the strength to continue until the end."

"I knew you would," he replied gravely. "You have always been capable."

I inclined my head in response. "Thank you."

"Legolas," he continued, "My friend, do not be scarce in Minas Tirith!"

"I will not," Legolas replied. "You know that in a fortnight I mean to return to Ithilien."

"Were you not there recently?" Aragorn asked, with some curiosity.

"Indeed," Legolas replied, "But still I have much to consider if we are to help to rebuild the city."

Ithilien? I had never heard of it.

"Where lies Ithilien?" I asked, sure that if we had passed through an old elven city, I would have realized.

"It is east of Minas Tirith, stretching along the ridge of the Ephel Dúath, the Mountains of Shadow," Legolas answered. "It used to be a prosperous and and grand city, long before Sauron rose to power, and fostered much trade between men and elves. Although it used to be a stronghold held by men, they welcomed many Eldar into the city, and since most elves live north of Gondor and Rohan, it has been the goal for quite sometime to form a coalition of elves from Greenwood to settle there."

"That is a noble idea," I said, nodding, "How far have you gotten with it?"

"There has been some done over the past few years, but not nearly enough," Legolas replied with a sigh. "It is difficult to transport enough materials in small groups; since there is not enough adequate lodging nor means of food as of yet, it is hard to maintain much else."

"That will come with time," I pointed out.

"Of course," Legolas replied, "But it still remains to be seen how soon we can settle the city."

"I would love to see it sometime," I said, in a subdued voice.

Legolas turned to me, looking troubled. "I know not if we will have time to return."

I saw Faewyn glance away. Aragorn spoke, then. "Legolas, might you not accompany us for a time? Ithillien is several leagues east of Minas Tirith; the return journey would not take much longer to complete."

Legolas hesitated. "They will not expect me yet; I was meant to accompany several others along with more supplies."

Aragorn pressed on. "Legolas, do not worry about that. I hardly think that Thranduil will find it hard to assign another for that convoy." 

Legolas almost smiled. "If he does, that is a problem." Aragorn laughed good-naturedly.

The prince turned to me. "So you would like to see Ithilien, Lady Gianna?"