Stag Parties

The door opened as soon as her hand struck the wood. My chest had tightened uncomfortably, and I sternly reminded myself that I was being ridiculous, it was just Legolas. Speaking of which, he had just opened the door. 

"Le sulion," Faewyn greeted sunnily. 

"Mae govannen," Legolas replied with a small smile. "What brings you to these parts?"

"Gianna....." Faewyn said pointedly, waiting for me to continue. 

Legolas motioned for us to come in, where we sat on a low bench near the window. The odd thing was, it was square, with a large hole in the middle where each of us had room to comfortably rest our legs. Plush gold cushions decorated it, and the typical intricacy of elven craft was evident by the wood.

"Well," I began, really quite doubtful of where I was going with this. "So....I fell out of a tree today."

Legolas inhaled sharply. "What?"

Faewyn looked at me apologetically. 

"Upon awaking into our realm, it seems she...fell into a tree."

"Are you hurt?" He asked, his voice tinged with the faint color of concern.

"Of course not," I rolled my eyes. "Faewyn took care of it." 

Legolas seemed to relax slightly, which was encouraging. Too much tension always got to me somehow.

"So still nothing?" Faewyn was asking him.

"No," he replied, with something of a half-grimace. 

My shoulders sagged a little bit. 

Well, you can always hope, I thought bitterly. Although the best of the elven scholars had searched countless records, there was never anything about dream travel or time travel or sleeping or other worlds, save for that over which reigns Ilúvatar.

"Is there anywhere else to look?" I asked. 

"There....may be...one," Legolas conceded, albeit quietly and hesitantly.

"Where?!" Faewyn said instantly, making as if to rise out of her seat and hunt it down. 

Legolas sighed. "It is not anywhere near here," he said pointedly. "It would be quite a long shot, anyways." 

"But any shot should be taken, lest it be missed unconditionally!" I protested. 

"It just lacks practicality," he answered, turning his clear blue gaze onto mine. 

"You would fade before we ever reached a quarter of the road." 

He was right, but I scowled at him anyway. Legolas responded to this by half-smiling mischievously.

"Nobody scowls at the prince, tithen-min," he teased. 

Little one. How dare he! 

"For your information, Mr. Prissy Prince, I turn seventeen tomorrow!" I shot back. "Which, as I am a normal person, usually signifies great maturity!" Faewyn looked from me to him, clearly amused.

"You know I jest," he protested. "I do not see you as a child."

"You don't?" I asked him, slightly amazed.  

"No," he replied, with a sad smile. "You are older every time I see you."

...well, how do I reply to that?

"Well, that's a plus, I suppose," I said, rolling my eyes. 

"And for your information, I am not prissy!" Legolas said, narrowing his eyes. Faewyn gave a short laugh.