Beneath the Trees

"All of Middle-earth is surely grateful for what you have accomplished, Gianna," Thranduil said gravely, following the final cathartic recount of what had befallen us in our journey since he had left Lothlorien. "Not even I had known the extent of the Remnant's power."

"I could not have accomplished anything without the people in this room," I said quietly.

"And they could not have accomplished it without you," Legolas replied, looking at me intently.

"Tell me," began Thranduil, his gaze no less keen than his son's, "When Falcon tortured you the first time, what was he attempting to do?"

"He spoke of 'taking away my light'; I believe he was trying to gain control of whatever blessing or powers given to me by the Valar and use it for his own designs," I said evenly, trying not to think too hard about what was in the past.

"And he did not succeed, correct?"

"No, he did not," I answered, "He suffered a great deal by trying to do so."

"No more than he deserved," Legolas commented, his tone calm but his hands tightly gripping his bow.

Thranduil seemed satisfied. "You see, if he would have succeeded, he may have been unstoppable. Morgoth the Corrupter himself was one of the Valar, and finding a way to channel his type of power would be disastrous. It is fortunate that you did not give in."

"I could not have even if I had tried," I said, recalling how I had felt pure, unadulterated light surge through me and the voice of Manwë in my mind. "I was protected in more ways than one."

Thranduil nodded pensively. "Faewyn, Maldor, your service in this matter is much appreciated. Faewyn-- you are young, but now have as much experience, if not more, as many of the guard. If you would like, I offer you a position among them. Maldor... were you not already one of my best healers I would offer you the same."

I snuck a glance at Faewyn, who had gone very still, her grey eyes only slightly wider than normal. She said, in a very even voice, "Thank you, my King, it would be an honour."

Maldor stepped forward. "My king, I can only echo the words of my comrade. I am proud to have helped in this venture."

"As you should be," Thranduil said, flashing a rare smile towards him. He stood from his knotted dark wood throne, but paused for a moment and looked at me.

"Gianna, did you ever discover the reason for your presence in Middle-earth?"

"Yes, by the words of the Valar I was brought here to end the Remnants. None in Middle-earth would have been able to as they had all been impacted by the darkness, no matter their race or origin."

"Then you will return to your own world?" Thranduil asked, not unkindly.

"Perhaps," I said, looking away nervously. "I do not yet know."

That was true.

Faewyn glanced at me but said nothing; fortunately Thranduil changed the subject and did not allow silence to ponder the matter.

"I would expect that you are all deeply weary from your venture, are you not?" the King asked, surveying us. "Of course, all of you must stay at the palace."

"I already live here," Legolas said irritably.

Thranduil ignored this comment and swept from the hall, meaning for us to follow him.

"Naturally, you all are invited to dine at my table tonight," Thranduil said grandly. "But if you are too weary for the lengthy conversations which are inevitable, I will, of course, send something up for you."