What Used to Be

I didn't sleep.

I stared up at the impossibly bright stars, only hearing my soft breath be borne away by my surroundings.

I wished that it would be easy, leaving with friends it might even have been fun. It was--until I was always on edge, always on guard. Until this curse, the curse that I--ironically enough--had control over but could never free myself from.

The night was cold, typical of late autumn, and surely the morning would dawn chill and clear.

I wrestled with restlessness until it came.

"We can reach the ruins by noon," Legolas announced, striding through the camp with purpose amidst the shadowy start of the day.

I sighed, groggily mounting Eärlin, desperate to end the long wait for answers.

"Fair morning, my Lady," Falcon said exaggeratedly, coming up next to me.

"Hello," I said, annoyed, but not much in the mood for an argument.

"I think you deserve some company," he said mildly.

"Deserve? From you?" I said in disgust.

"Come, Gianna, don't be impossible. Your prince doesn't seem very inclined to do so." he said with a self-satisfied smirk.

"He isn't my prince," I scowled. "Besides, I'd rather have my own company than be harassed into a bad one."

"Oh, but the thing is, you wish he was your prince," Falcon said knowingly. "And I am not bad company."

"Then go be with it somewhere else," I said wearily.

"No, I don't think I will." he said. "It appears you are stuck with me."

Faewyn rode out next to me, her horse snorting at mine.

I was glad she had come, but I had nothing better to say than "Aren't you supposed to be doing something important?"

"This is important," she said pointedly, looking at Falcon through narrowed eyes.

"Thank you," I muttered.

"There's no way to ride through here," Faewyn said in a low voice. "Legolas was saying we may have to let the horses go."

"How will we carry all the supplies?" I asked, confused.

"We won't," she said grimly. "But there is no other way. Any horse, even light footed Elven horses, could go lame on the sharp stones."

As if on cue, we were faced with a tall, jagged path. It was easy to see possible handholds, but none for hooves.

"Here we dismount," Legolas called, walking through the men. He slid off Arod in one fluid motion, regally surveying the company.

"Where will they go?" I asked.

"I believe Legolas is sending Arod to Gondor, the rest will follow," Faewyn said.

Horses were unsaddled and their baggage distributed. Most of it was carried by the Men of Gondor.

With the sun at our backs and darkness in front, we began a steep ascent.

Falcon hung back, which was fine with me, and Faewyn and I took the lead, with Legolas and Maldor flanking the group.

"Where were you last night?" Faewyn asked conversationally.

"Eärlin came back dragging a flask from somewhere and we went to investigate." I sighed, defeatedly.