Thief in the Night

I was in a stone room. Supposedly, anyway. Falcon had led me here without a word, and all the while I felt eyes on me and occasionally deep, rolling, guttural laughter, but I never saw a soul.

It was clear there were enchantments everywhere. There were no doors or walls to anything, apparently, because although it was made of stone, Falcon had no problem sailing to and fro as if walls were an illusion. I had tried to do the same--but my prison held me as any normal dungeon would.

I noticed the chains I previously had thought were only attached to the floor were attached to me on the other end. My wrists were bound in tight black steel, and although generally rather unfashionable, also made me fully appreciate the fact that I was a prisoner.

Now I was starting to panic. Based on some stupid, inept reasoning, I somehow hadn't bargained for this much security, and the only thing in the room didn't give me much hope. It was a thin, black chain that protruded from the floor like an ugly tentacle.

I had been searched, of course, when I arrived, and even though I doubt Falcon, who wanted me to use the necklace, would have taken it from me, I wasn't going to take any chances.

Quite suddenly, I felt a sort of pull, a feeling of being extremely drowsy. I tried to press open my eyes but I was too far gone, and I recalled that I couldn't stay away from my world for so long again.

Even though after the stars had appeared on my skin, I had gained the advantage of being able to return at will, though I seldom did. Perhaps it was the pressing purpose that distracted me from others. Either way, Falcon would have a fit when he found me gone. I smiled at the thought and stretched, the rough hospital sheets rustling.

It had only been like half hour. How nice of the Valar to arrange this time thing. I yawned, and it hit me that I hadn't been wearing the necklace.

With a feeling of creeping dread, I recalled that I had to be wearing it in order to maintain the balance between our worlds. I slowly became aware of the stone pressing against my leg--it only had to be touching my skin. I breathed in relief, and sat up. As I reached out to move my hair out of my face, I felt a small pinch and realised that a tiny IV needle had been torn from my arm.
I rolled my eyes as a series of alarms were triggered, and two nurses ran in looking flustered.

They both relaxed when they saw me sitting up and looking alive, but it didn't stop one of them, the shorter one, from saying  "Is everything okay, honey?"

"Yes, thank you," I replied calmly. "I must have accidentally torn out my IV. To be honest I don't think I need it."

"Well, you been conscious for 24 hours," agreed the other nurse. "Why don't you try to eat some applesauce?"

I let out a shrill laugh and, mortified, covered my mouth with my hands.

"Did we say something amusing?" inquired the shorter nurse.

"I'm sorry--" I burst into laughter again and just shook my head no.

Applesauce. How mundane.

In the other reality I was trapped in a dungeon with a psychopath who had fantasies about me, and to add insult to injury, I had to find a way to save the world.

But applesauce.

I vaguely heard one of the nurses say "...side effect of medication." 

"We will have the doctor check on you soon," the tall nurse said through a disapproving set of pursed lips. They both left.

My maniacal laughter subsided and I dejectedly looked around the bare room.

How did I feel so out of place in my own world?