Return and Reconciliation

I couldn't see, I couldn't think, all I knew was running. To go as far away as possible, not caring where. I felt the necklace bouncing off my chest as I ran, and I knew it was probably due to the necklace that I was acting so erratic, but it didn't matter.

Running through a castle at night is a terrible idea, since I felt more lost than ever looking at more shadowy corridors than I could count.

Finally, my legs gave out and I staggered to a door, sincerely hoping I wouldn't meet anyone for the rest of the evening. That last meeting with Legolas--God, Legolas.

Nope, I scolded myself, not thinking about him. Not in the state you're in.

I was pleasantly surprised when the room was revealed to be a library. It was hard to see anything but rows of dusty shelves, piled with scrolls, in the dim, milky moonlight that spilled from a small window.

With this, I curled up on the window seat and tried to sleep, but my heart was still beating frantically and irregularly. Just thinking about what had happened...made me hot and anxious, pulse racing.

I looked a the small stone, seemingly absorbing the moon's pale glow, and irritably tore it from my neck. Instantly I felt my control return, but the feelings were still there, taunting me over and over again.

I shivered, remembering the distinct curve of his lips, the color of his eyes, everything...everything I shouldn't be thinking of.

What did they say, that everything looks better in the morning?

Ha, likely.

I sunk into uneasy dreams, and awoke staring at a white ceiling.

White?

I turned my head, groggily peeling open my eyelids.

Of course, the first thing I mumbled was, "What in Arda is on my eyes?" 

I blinked to clear the fog and saw my mother siting in the chair across from the hospital bed. How long had it been? Weeks, maybe?

"Gianna! Oh, darling, I was so worried..." I saw her sunken face, limp form. How long had she been waiting for me to wake up?

"Mum?" I said, struggling to sit up.

"How long have I been here?" I asked.

"Three days," my mother said shakily. "You were trapped in your room, it's a miracle that you had no burns."

Only three days? I thought disbelievingly. Oh, so the time did change.

"How is that possible?" I asked her, confused. "I felt the sheets burning around me."

"Maybe the heavens are sending a message," she said, a smile crinkling the corners of her eyes. "That you are a priceless treasure."

She bent over my bed and kissed my forehead.

"Welcome back," she said tenderly.

"Where's Dad? How did the fire start?" I asked, overwhelmed by the general situation.

"Your father is fine, he's recovering." she said gently.

"If he's recovering, he's not fine," I pointed out.

"He...was fine. We were outside the house, the firemen told us to wait there while they found you, but your dad...he ran in anyways. A burning timber fell on him. He has six broken ribs, a punctured lung, and severe burns on his arms and neck but the doctors say he'll be fine in a few weeks."