The Veil Between Us

The two of us faced the night, standing barefoot on the balcony of my room at the palace, waiting for sleep to take me. 

"The heavens shine brightly on this night, my Prince." I said in a hollow whisper. I felt the night settling on me like a blanket, usually so comforting but today dense and pained.

The golden prince in the moonlight pulled me into his chest, interlacing his fingers with my hair, tugging gently at each strand. "So do you," he said, looking at me with longing. 

I said nothing, because there was nothing to be said, but instead, drawing closer to him, kissed the soft skin behind his ear, whispering. "I will never forget this." 

"Nor shall I," he mumbled, his words warm against my neck. I kissed him again, letting my lips linger on his skin longer each time, tasting him, remembering what he felt like, and I heard him exclaim softly, "Ai, Gianna, this is doing nothing for my self control." 

"Then don't have any," I said hoarsely. "Valar, Legolas, I have never needed anyone like this."

He turned to look at me, and slowly, as if in a dream, and said in a low, still voice, "Gianna, you have tormented me since I kissed you that night in Minas Tirith. I cannot explain the depths of my desire; it is unseemly, I know, but I have only ever truly wanted one person, and you are she who has stolen my dignity along with my heart." 

"And you mine." 

His movements graceful and measured, he turned his face to mine, cupping my cheek, his fingers curling around my hair and pulling me closer, until our foreheads rested against one another. Taking a breath, his eyelids fluttered shut, and he slowly, devastatingly pressed his lips to mine, his own parted slightly. 

I felt my heartbeat quicken at the contact, pulling him in closer, my teeth grazing his lower lip. Legolas made a pained noise against my mouth, fervently pressing his body against mine. 

He pulled my head back, his lips finding the tender skin of my neck, and it was all I could do do keep from crying out at the the unimaginable feeling that raced through me, intoxicating me in an instant and leaving me barely astride of my senses. 

"God, Legolas," I managed to say. I did not get much farther, though, as just then his thumbs grazed the sides of my breasts as his hands moved up my ribcage, achingly gentle. His eyes met mine, pleading, and the only reply I could form was to lean into him hungrily again, our lips moving against each other, the bitter parting ahead paling in comparison to what we had now, at this moment, wreathed in the velvet night, which no longer seemed so oppressive. 

**************

"Sleep," Legolas whispered, eyes not leaving mine. 

"I cannot," I answered, still not sure this was real. 

"Gia," he said, voice breaking slightly. "Sleep awaits, whether you would have it or not."

"Valar help me," I said, in a miserable whisper. 

Sleep pulled at my thoughts and I wrested them back again and again, until I was vanished and utterly spent, and found my being awakened in the presence of those who I had called upon. 

*******

"As stated, you had half a fortnight to decide whence your fate would be diverted," spoke the solemn voice of Lórien. 

My heart dropped with his words. "Indeed, my Lord." 

"And what have you chosen, child?" came the voice of gentle Estë through the untroubled mist. 

"I will return to my own world and continue the life I began there," I said, surprised at my own conviction. 

"So young, and already so sorrowful ," said Estë sadly, "but it is the right choice, Gianna."