Thranduil

Faewyn and I raced through the woods, not stopping even when I thought my silly mortal legs would give way. It was imperative that we reach the Elvenking in a timely manner, as disappearing on him again would do nothing to improve my reputation. Suddenly, Faewyn stopped quite suddenly. She literally stopped running so quickly I unceremoniously ran over her and fell onto a few tree branches.

Faewyn looked at me crossly as she untangled a few leaves from her hair, and said, "Honestly, you humans."

"Sorry, Catwoman," I replied, "Guess I'm not good enough for you then."

We both grinned and then my friend said, "We are almost there," and my adrenaline started going again. 

I don't really know what the general impression of the King was, but to me he was extremely intimidating. Just being in his presence gave me the inclination to crawl under a large rock. I set my jaw.

"Okay," I said. "Gwaem." Let's go. Faewyn led me through a thick grove of trees. Again, frightening me half out of my wits, she randomly stopped, turned, and put her hand on my shoulder.

"Gianna," she started. "After these trees there is only a clearing, which is where the palace is. Do not act like your business here is clandestine or shaded. You must walk, with me, directly towards the palace with great purpose. An elf on business for the King never looks down or looks as horribly afraid as you do." Seeing my stricken expression, she laughed easily and assured me that I actually did not look as tragic as I thought. I relaxed, if only a little bit.

"Also," she continued, "if we do end up being able to seek counsel with the King, which will assuredly be extremely difficult, you must never look directly at him, unless he speaks to you, as that would be disrespectful. Speaking of which, only speak when spoken to and don't forget to bow when you enter the room. And try to leave most of the talking to me."

I gaped at her in a very ungainly fashion.

"Any questions?" Faewyn smiled impishly. "Come then," she said, turning around again. Frantically, I tried not to forget anything she had just shared with me in the previous thirty seconds. I followed Faewyn as softly as I could, stepping as she had taught me. Toe, heel. Weight distribution. Faewyn looked back at me.

"This was your idea," she reminded me teasingly. "We can still, you know, turn back, if you-"

"No!" I interrupted. "Let us do this." She grinned at me.

"Elenath tir-ammen," she added. May the stars watch over us.

We stepped softly into the clearing. Ahead of us loomed a single massive pair of gates, strong, ironbound, impenetrable. But they were beautiful, carved in likeness of trees, covered in metal tracings of vines. I wanted to stop and stare at them for a while, but I remembered what Faewyn told me, and continued on, staring straight ahead. As we neared the great doors, two armed guards stopped us, crossing their blades in front.

"Daro (Halt)!" the left one said. "Who seeks council with the King?"

"I do," said Faewyn, tilting her chin up slightly. "Faewyn Calathiriel, and Gianna Davidiel of the realm of Men." I looked the guard straight in the eye, and although Faewyn had warned me not to talk, of course I did anyway.

"Tur-le nar-en aran mín darth-sí," I said, trying to not sound condescending, although still assertively. You may tell the king we are here. Faewyn looked from me to the guard nervously. He inclined his head with a queer half-smile.

"Le ped-edhelen, nether (You speak Elvish, young one)," he replied, directing the comment to me. "Nae, an Sindarín-nîn na al-sui lend sui cín (Alas, for my Sindarin is not as sweet as your own)," I replied.  As if in proof of this, I faltered on the word "lend (sweet)" and blushed slightly. He offered me a warm smile.