Understanding

I woke with a jolt to find someone looking at me again. Seriously, what was up with that.

"What do you want?" I said blearily, rubbing sleep out of my eyes.

"Well, school started an hour ago!" my mother enunciated in a shrill voice.

"WHAT?" I yelped. "Why didn't you wake me up?!"

"I tried!" she protested. "But you wouldn't wake up!"

"That's bull," I snarled. Tired and late for school is not a real stellar combination for me.

My mother retreated with a hurt look.

"If you want to be stubborn about it, that's your problem," she said coldly. "See you after school." 

And with that, she stalked out, leaving me standing deflatedly in a patch of sun.

I flung the door open with a crash, finding 36 pairs of eyes looking at me accusingly.

"You're late," Mr. Willis said dryly, turning from his position at the whiteboard.

"Sorry..." I whispered, slinking to my seat abashedly. A few people snickered.

"Nice going, Gi," laughed Derek. I shot him an irritated look and slid into the cold metal seat.

"Anyway," the teacher continued, "If you are able to find side C using Pythagorean Theorem, then you are able to solve in ratios if the triangles are similar. Without knowing the approximate value of the...."

Mr. Willis' voice drifted in and out as I focused on a poster on the wall.

Always be the best you can be! it read mockingly. I scowled. Today was not my day.

I thought of last night, standing in the hall with Legolas. Forgive me, he had said.

He was always so sweet, I kinda...Nope. Not going there. I was an expert at not thinking, as it always got me into trouble. I pictured Faewyn, always smiling, and then the stag. Was he an effigy of Lórien? His corporeal emissary? I wonder...

I blinked.

Faewyn was sitting in front of me, reading a voluminous book.

I was back. She looked up, startled.

"Gianna?!" she asked, agape.

"Apparently," I said, teetering at an unexplained bout of dizziness.

"You've been gone five minutes," she said teasingly. "Did you miss my company that much?"

"Apparently," I laughed again.

"So..." she began expectantly.

"I think I figured out this entertaining star phenomenon." I said cheerfully, as I began to explain. 

"You thought about me and you came back?" Faewyn asked, albeit a bit skeptically.

"Yes!" I insisted. "I was suppose to be in Trig but I got bored so I started thinking about you and stuff and I just--"

I was interrupted by a small wave of Faewyn's hand.

"Hold on," she said curiously. "You were where?"  

Oops. No trig in Middle Earth.

"Nothing," I said impatiently. "The point is that I can return whenever I want now."

"But for how long?" she asked, frowning.

"I don't know," I admitted. "But if I can come back whenever, maybe we could..."