Nine

Arthur walks Dottie in to the Garrison and further in to the snug. He happily sways, cheering as they enter the snug. Dottie casts her eyes around, seeing one other person in the snug.

"My baby cousin is here!" He cheers, taking a crystal glass of whiskey off the table, he pushes it in to Dottie's hand, "here, take this. Get this down you."

Dottie smiles, lifting the glass up to her lips. "Oh yeah? What we celebrating?"

Arthur places his finger under her glass, tilting it, allowing the liquid to cool down her throat. "Life, baby cousin."

"Micheal's your baby cousin," Dottie responds causing Arthur to shake his head.

"Young Micheal is a man. He can look after himself, can't he? Yeah that's right, but you, Dots, you're the real baby. Now sit down, I'll get more drinks."

Dottie watches as Arthur stomps happily out of the snug, slamming the door behind him.
"He does know that the hatch is there, doesn't he?" Dottie says, causing the man to lift his eyes up to the young girl. She smiles, "I'm Dottie—"

"Arthur's cousin, by any chance?" He asks, making Dottie nod her head as she sits down.

"And you are?"

"Your cousins most trusted man. Reginald Smith."

"Reginald?" Dottie repeats.

"Mhm, although you can call me Reggie. As long as you take a seat," he says, his eyes meeting Dottie's for the first time.

Dottie nods, moving to sit down next to Reggie. He smiles at her, showing off a full set of pearly white teeth. His grey beady eyes burn in to Dottie.

"You're Polly's daughter?"

Dottie nods, "I am indeed, and you work with my cousins?"

Reggie nods, "I do. Have done for years, surprised you haven't seen me about."

"I haven't been home for long," Dottie explains, "haven't really been interested in the business."

"And why's that?" Reggie asks, looking at the decanter and picking it up. "Whiskey?"

"Please."

Reggie pours the whiskey in to another crystal glass. He smiles as he pushes it towards Dottie before refilling his own.

"So go on," he says, "tell me why the Shelby brothers have a cousin who has no interest on what they do."

"I never said that," Dottie responds, fidgeting on the booth, she crosses her leg underneath herself, fully facing Reggie, "I am interested in what they do. Just not business wise."

"I let your bother today. Micheal."

"Oh yeah?"

Reggie nods, "he's seventeen, yeah?"

"Mhm," Dottie responds, bringing the glass up to her lips.

"Are you... older or younger?"

"Older," she answers, "only by a year or so," she adds before tilting her glass, allowing herself to have a sip of the liquid.

Reggie nods, "so eighteen... young, still. You're a baby," he smirks, a twisted expression on his face.

Dottie places the glass down on to the table, "I look older, had a hard life."

Reggie raises an eyebrow. A perfectly arched eyebrow. "You? Had a hard life?"

Dottie nods in response, "did you go with my cousins and brother to the horse thing?" She asks, leaning slightly forward.