Thirty-Six

The Gray's walked in to Tommy's manor. Polly's and Dottie's dresses swishing behind them as they walked, and Micheal having his hands on his pockets, a glare situated on his face. Dottie is the first to leave her brother and mother, taking Eliza upstairs to Charlie's play room.

"Hello, Mary," Dottie says, opening the door and closing it behind her.

Mary, an older woman who works for Tommy and Grace, turns around, smiling. Behind her is Charlie, looking between Mary's legs to Dottie.

"Eliza!" He cheers, pushing past Mary and running straight to Dottie and Eliza.

Dottie grins, bending down to stand Eliza up on the floor. Eliza meets Charlie half way, she grabs his hand and leads him over to the large rocking horse.

"Bye, Mama," Eliza says, dismissing Dottie instantly.

Mary walks towards Dottie, "she'll be fine," Mary says, almost sensing Dottie's worries. "I've got a dinner for both of them cooking, and after they've eaten I'll be putting them to bed."

Dottie pushes a smile on to her face, "thank you, Mary, you're a life saver!"

Mary smiles again, "there's no need to thank me. Now go downstairs, Mrs Shelby will be wanting to see you."

Dottie does, looking once more at Eliza, who squeals as Charlie rocks the horse faster than she can. She travels downstairs, going in to the ballroom and seeing the large chandelier lighting up the room.

Much like Tommy and Grace's wedding reception, maids walk around the ballroom with silver trays and standing champagne flutes in their hands. They waltz between people, walking in and out.

Dottie looks for Grace, noticing her speaking to an elderly woman. She makes a beeline for her, walking between people to get to the blonde. She greets Grace with a short embrace.

"I'm glad you're here," Grace whispers in to Dottie's ear before ending the hug.

"The manor looks beautiful," Dottie compliments, looking around and spitting the painting of Tommy and Grace looking lovingly at each other. "I especially love the painting of yous."

Grace tilts her head, smacking Dottie's arm. "I sat for hours, I'll have you know." She leans her head towards Dottie, "you know your mother is having a painting done. By a man that came to my wedding."

Dottie looks round for Polly, spotting her talking to a man. "That man?"

"No. I'll point him out to you when I see him," Grace replies making Dottie him. Grace smiles when she sees a man approach her. Tommy's close by, standing beside Grace within an instant.

"Tommy." Grace says, looking at Tommy before looking back at the man. "Here's the leader of the Birmingham City Council."

The man, an older man witb a balding head nods his head towards Tommy. "Hello, Tommy."

"Hi, Danny."

"How's business?" He asks, a flute of champagne between his fingers.

Grace eyes up Dottie, frowning slightly. The pair stare at each other.

"All right, it's holding up, holding up. How are you?" Tommy asks back.

Grace turns to Tommy, "you know each other?" She asks in a sweet voice, almost as if it's fake.

"I have interests in a steelworks in Cradley Heath." Tommy vaguely answers, trying to shake off the question.

The man clears his throat. "Tommy helps me get my products to the carmakers. Congratulations, Mrs Shelby, on your wedding."