Fifty

The four Gray women, Dottie, Polly, Eliza and Florence, all walk together to Micheal's hospital room. Polly had made Tommy pay the bills, making sure Micheal got a new and fresh private room on a new ward.

Florence, in her hands, hold a small bag of chocolates for Micheal as she toddles in front of Dottie, and Eliza holds a small present wrapped up. His Christmas present.

When they reach Micheal's room, Polly rolls her eyes, seeing the two blinders fast asleep by the door of Micheal's room.

"Fucking useless," she mutters, she then slams her foot against the tiled flooring. "On your feet." She commands to the blinders who stand immediately. "Wait outside."

She doesn't say anything else as Dottie pushes open the door, allowing Florence and Eliza to run in first. Then Polly walks through, smiling gratefully at Dottie before Dottie shuts the door, making sure it's closed.

Dottie's worries are pushed away when she sees Micheal, bandaged up, smiling at his nieces, half lying half sitting. He looks to Dottie.
"Lift them up, will you?" He says, not even greeting Dottie.

Dottie nods, smiling slightly as she bends down to lift Florence then to lift Elizabeth up on to the bed.

"No wriggling or moving," Dottie says to the two girls, "you can hurt Uncle Mickey a lot so please be still."

Florence nods her head, grinning at Micheal. However thoughtful Dottie thought Florence was all went out of the window when she falls down in to Micheal's chest, knocking all of his breath out.

Dottie is quick to sit Micheal up, rubbing his back as Florence situates herself under Micheal's arm, "oi. What did I just say?"

Florence smiles up innocently, "cuddle with Uncle Mickey!"

"It's alright, Dots," Micheal replies, wrapping his arm around Florence. He looks at Eliza, opening his free arm.

Eliza grins, crawling carefully to sit beside her uncle. Micheal holds them both tight, careful of either one falling out.

"What's that?" He asks, looking down at Eliza's present.

"Christmas present," Eliza answers simply.

Micheal raises an eyebrow, "who for? Me?"

Eliza nods, with a grin plastered on to her face. Micheal equally smiles, he coughs, clearing his throat before he starts to open the box up, struggling slightly. He chuckles when he sees the box of cigarettes.

"I have one too!' Exclaims Florence, placing the bag down on to Micheal's stomach. "Open mine!"

Micheal does, digging his hand inside the bag and pulling out a box of fancy chocolates. His favourite chocolates.

"Oh wow, thank you both of you!" He exclaims, allowing Dottie to clear up the rubbish and place the box of chocolates and cigarettes down on to the beside cabinet beside him.

When both girls sit happily beneath him, he looks at Polly, who's taken a chair from the other side of the room and sat down. Beside her is Dottie, also sat down as her eyes dance quickly around Micheal, inspecting Micheal's face.

"Hello, Mum."

"They said you'd be out cold." Polly replied as Micheal tries to shift. "No, don't move. The doctor said they've sewn you up like a football."

"What else did he say?"

"He said you took four bullets." Dottie answers, "only one was live, one was ricochet... Two were already spent..." her words fall as her dues do the same. She fumbles with her fingertips. "Two had passed through John."

"Last thing I remember was his face." Micheal says sadly, "I watched him go."

Dottie nods as Polly's hand grasps hold of Dottie's. She squeezes it.

"Where's Tommy?" Micheal then asks.

"Oh, don't worry about Tommy, just get better." Dottie says dismissively, hoping that's the end of that subject. "Have you eaten?"

"Where is he?" Micheal asks again, looking between Dottie and Polly.

"Tommy's back." Polly responds, "we're all back. Garrison, Watery Lane, Charlie's..."

Micheal lets out a sigh, "but John's not, is he?"

When Dottie shakes her head, he signs again. He pushes one arm towards the bedside cabinet. "I need a cigarette."

Polly is quick to jump forward, "No. I made a decision."

Dottie frowns, she isn't sure what decision Polly talks off, and by the look of Micheal's face neither does he.

"Give me a cigarette, Mum."

"It's not allowed." Polly states, taking hold of the cigarette packet.

"It's not allowed?" Micheal repeats, raising an eyebrow. "Why did you bring them then?"

"Late Christmas present," Dottie answers absentmindedly.

"I've decided we're gonna get away." Polly suddenly says. "Just me and you and Dots and the girls, Australia."

"Mum, what about Isiah?" Dottie questions, frowning as she looks at Polly.

Polly nods, "Isiah will come." She confirms before looking back at Micheal, "I've been to the Cunard office and I've got a magazine." She unzips her bag.

"Hmm." Micheal hums, eyeing up Dottie who shrugs at him.

"Now, America's no good because that's where they are, but there's no Italians in Australia."

"I think there are, Mum." Micheal says causing Dottie to stifle a chuckle.

"Bad ones, I mean."

"Have you stopped taking those prison tablets?" Micheal fires a question as she takes her head out from her bag.

"Don't you worry about me." She says dismissively, as if that would be the end of Micheal's worries.

"Well, I do."

"And just you get better. The doctor says it'll be five weeks, then you'll be up and walking." Polly says, leaving a leaflet on his legs. " Now, there's a boat that leaves on February the 13th."

"Tell Tommy I need to see him. Tell him to bring a gun small enough to fit in the chamber pot, in case—"

Shaking her head, Polly replies, "I've banned Tommy from coming."

"The factory's coming back to work tomorrow."

"Just forget about the fucking factories." She snaps.

"Micheal, you're in hospital. Forget about work," Dottie adds causing Micheal to glare at her.

"Is there any word of them going out on strike?" Micheal asks, trying to get any information out of Polly or Dottie.

"We can go to Australia," Polly continues, "it'll just be us, and your sister, cause I've found out where she was buried, somewhere outside Melbourne."

"Listen, Mum..." Micheal hesitates."I'm gonna get better slowly. But you need to get better fast. Without you he falls apart and without him... without him, they'll take us all. You've got to get us through this."

Dottie nods, "Micheal's right, Mum. Without you, god knows what will happen."

Micheal nods, "I promise  I'll board that train with you and we'll go to Australia."

Dottie nods, "we all will," she says, her stomach churning about how Isiah will react to this news.

Florence lifts her head up from the crook of Micheal's elbow. She turns her head round.
"I got a bike!"

Micheal looks down, gasping, "wow, did you? Did you really? Do you know how to ride the bike, Flo?"

Florence shakes her head.

"I'll teach you," Micheal says, simply, "when I'm better and we're in Australia, I'll teach you Flo. Now lay back and have a nap with your uncle."