Sixteen

The Shelby family were sitting in the snug of the Garrison, waiting for Dottie to arrive with her new fella as Finn put it. Micheal stood against the wall by the door, a glass of whiskey in his hands whilst Polly stood at the window, a different outfit to one she had gone out with this morning on. The Shelby cousins sat facing the door, ready to punch on the young man, and Ada sat alone on a stool, staring at the door too.
The family were silent, waiting for Dottie to arrive. It had been a long day, and the evening would be even long pretending they would like whoever Dottie settles down with.

When the snug door opened, Dottie smiled, looking round the snug.

"You all look really serious," she comments, "anyways, this is Reggie."

Polly steps forward. She doesn't even bat an eyelid to Reggie before she hugs her daughter, pulling her tightly in to her chest.
"He's gone," she mutters to Dottie causing Dottie to frown.

"Who's gone?"

"The inspector," Polly answers in her ear, her breath tickling Dottie's skin.

Dottie nods, "good," she says, pulling away from Polly, "Mum, this is Reggie Smith."

Reggie smiles, he pushes his hand out, "it's pleasure to meet you properly, Mrs Gray. I've heard many things about you."

Polly simply stares at him. Her eyes as cool and cold as ice.

Dottie rolls her eyes, as Reggie swallows a lump in his throat and drops his hand.

"Micheal, Reggie, Reggie, Micheal," Dottie then says, noticing how Micheal tilts his whiskey glass up to his lips and downs the harsh liquid down this throat.

Micheal doesn't say anything. He follows his mother's leads and stares at Reggie causing Dottie to groan.

"Reggie, Tom, Arthur, John and Finn."

"Thank you for inviting me, Mr Shelby," Reggie says, looking between the Shelby cousins.

Arthur grunts, a cigarette between his fingers. "It wasn't us that invited you."

"You're late," Tommy simply says, leaning back and staring at the pair.

"Yes, that was my fault," Reggie says, causing Tommy to raise his eyebrows.

"Already lying for our Dottie, eh? Dottie's always late, aren't you, Dots?"

Dottie rolls her eyes, eyeing Ada, who nods and stands up. She smiles warmly at Reggie.

"Hello, Reggie."

"Hello, Miss Shelby," Reggie says in response causing Ada to frown.

"It's Thorne," Ada says, "but you're part of the family, so call me Ada."

Arthur grumbles.

"Ignore them," Ada adds before she looks at Dottie, pulling her in to her chest, "hello, you."

"Hello Ada," Dottie responds, kissing the older woman's cheek, "how's Karl?"

"He's with Esme," Ada responds, "left him during a nap, he's with John's trillion kids."

"Yeah, well at least I'm married," John responds, a cocky smirk on his lips, "who are you married to, Ada?"

Ada rolls her eyes, turning round to face her brother with a hand on her hip. "I'll have you know, I've had plenty of men trying to marry me."

"Yeah, we've sent them to you," John cackles in response, "it's called trying to get rid of you. You seem to be lurching around now you've got two new cousins."