Fifty-Six

Everyone gathers round in Tommy's large office. They all seem clam, apart from Dottie, who's grinning estacically whilst holding Florence and Eliza on either hip. Dottie's hair drips wet, she had had a bath as soon as she was able to, scrubbing her body free of Luca's blood and scent.

Now music plays in Tommy's office. Tommy sits upon the chair with Lizzie Stark, smoking and talking to her quietly.

"I love you both so so much!" Dottie says to her two children, "I will never ever leave you again!" She promises.

Florence grins, leaning in to Dottie's chest, "mama, can we go shopping? Tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow?" Dottie asks as Florence nods her head, "of course we can. We can do whatever you both want. Do you want some new toys? Mama will get you anything!"

Florence grins, a toothy grin as Eliza hugs in to Dottie's chest.

"We missed you, Mama," she says quietly, "Siah said you was with a friend."

A friend my arse, Dottie thinks.

"Yes, baby," she agrees, ignoring her what to scoff, "Mama was with a friend. I'm sorry I didn't say goodbye, can you forgive me?"

Eliza scrunched up her nose, she presses one finger to her chin, "I don't know, Mama. I will need lots of toys and time to think about it!"

"You can have as many toys as you want, my darling," Dottie says, grinning as she kisses Eliza's cheek.

"Nice. Hey!" Tommy calls, standing up, "listen up. Um. Before we go and eat, I'd like to say a few words. Last time we were all here, it ended badly."

The family fall to a silence as Arthur grunts.

"Yeah."

"And now, we're in a happier place. That's it. I'd just like to raise a toast." He lifts his glass up, but so stopped by Arthur.

"Hold on. A few words I want to say from the heart, and this time, you're gonna let me finish, Tommy." He stands up, a glass of whiskey in his hand. "Now, as you all know, Arthur Shelby is dead. 'Cause of that, Tommy's offered me a way out. A new identity. Start a whole new life for meself. I've thought about it."

Linda moves to the edge of her seat, listening carefully as Dottie moves to the sofa, sitting beside Polly. Polly winks at her.

"Made a decision. I ain't fucking going nowhere."

The family cheer.

"Our enemies are gone. Dead, all of them. For the first time since me, my two kid brothers, Tommy and John, enlisted in the Warwickshire Yeomanry, we have peace. So. I think I'd like to make a proposal to all of you, the Shelby Company Limited, insist that Tommy here take some time off." Arthur proposes.

Florence leans her head against Dottie's chest.

"Time you took a holiday, Tom. Put your feet up. War's over. No one wants to kill us." He lifts his glass up. "To peace."

"To peace." The family say in unison.

                                    —

Micheal wasn't dead. But he didn't say any goodbyes. Instead he left a letter for Dottie, given to Isiah.

"Here," Isiah says, handing over a folded piece of parchment paper.

Dottie frowns.

"It's nothing bad, it's from Micheal. He said to me to say to you he's sorry for not seeing you," Isiah says as Dottie nods.

She hesitates as her mouth falls open. She tilts her head upon looking at Isiah. "Talking of bad... I don't want to be together, Isiah. I-I can't be with anyone right now. I need to focus on my girls."