Sixty-Seven

Tommy was holding an event at Arrow House. He had assured the children would be safe with Mary, his maid who use to look after Eliza and Charlie before Grace had died. Both Dottie and Isiah were late to the ballroom, finding an empty room to reacquaint with each other.

"There's a fucking noose around my neck when we fuck," Dottie reveals, leaning over Isiah with her leg.

Isiah hums, lying against the bed with a cigarette between his lips. "A noose, eh? I take it I make you feel that good."

"Don't get too cocky," Dottie responds, rolling her eyes as she sits up. She looks down at the floor as Isiah stares at her.

"You know, when I was round for dinner, all I could think was fucking you," he reveals, watching as Dottie stands up.

Dottie raises her eyebrows, "even after I had a go at Gina?"

"Especially after you had a go at her," Isiah replies as Dottie turns her head, looking at the clock. She shrugs upon looking back at Isiah.

"Do we have time, princess?"

"If we don't, I'll make it."

                                    —

Dottie stands with a champagne flute in her hands. She stands besides Lizzie, her gaze flying across the room. She looks at Isiah, who's laughing with Finn across the room.

"Ruby's been wanting for you to come round again," Lizzie reveals, "says she needs to see her aunty Dottie."

Dottie smiles. "I'm sure Eliza and Florence won't complain."

Lizzie hums, she follows Dottie's eyesight before smirking. "You've been eye fucking Isiah all evening... come to mention it, your hair is rather frizzled, and your lipstick is smudged."

A deep crimson blush crawls across Dottie's cheeks.

"You fucked him, didn't you?" She asks, leaning in towards Dottie and speaking in a quiet voice.

Dottie bites her cheek before she nods, a small smile escapes on to her lips when Lizzie grins.

"I knew it! You've been looking at him like a love stricken puppy all evening!" She exclaims, pure happiness dancing throughout her voice, "the girls will be pleased?"

"Very pleased if things go well," Dottie confirms as she hears a set of heels tapping against the floor.

Polly joins the two women, greeting both with a small smile, however Lizzie's smile drops upon seeing Polly. Dottie frowns, looking back at Isiah, who whispers in Finn's ear.

"So, did you know?"

Lizzie's voice brings her out of a trance. She shakes her head, feeling the bubbles of the champagne hit her.

"What?" Polly asks. She raises an eyebrow. "Oh, that tonight's special guest might have fսckеd you when you were a nightclub hostess? Yeah."

"Mum!" Dottie's exclaims.

Rolling her eyes at Dottie, Polly stares at Lizzie. "Lizzie, if we were to strike from our guest lists every man in Birmingham who you—" her words fall short as Tommy and a man walk in to the ballroom.
"Yes or no?"

Lizzie turns, falling Polly's sight. Her eyes bulge out of her head as she looks back at Polly. "Fucking yes."

"Sh¡t." Dottie mutters as Tommy and the man make their way over to the three women.

Tommy nods slightly, "Sir Oswald, this is my wife, Elizabeth and my cousin, Dottie. Lizzie, Dottie, Sir Oswald Mosley."

The man looks at Dottie with slow movements. His eyes run over Dottie appearance. He doesn't say anything as his small and beady eyes fall over Lizzie's face. The corner of his lips twist up in to a smirk.
"Since we all appear to know, and since knowledge is permission, I'm sure, Mr Shelby, in the spirit of our honest relationship, you won't mind me saying it was a bottle of champagne and an evening well spent."

Lizzie unclips her bag as she speaks, half scoffing.
"Actually, it was an evening wasted." She pulls out a gold coin, and drops it in to his champagne flute.
"For the champagne and brandy you bought me! As I recall, it was the booze that put you to sleep a little prematurely."

Before anyone can react, a man's voice booms across the room, announcing the start of the ballet.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the dance is about to begin."

Dottie and Isiah had missed the ballet. They watched the first five minutes before Dottie turned her head, seeing her mum disappear with Aberama following her closely. She pulled on Isiah's hand, going the opposite way to an abandoned staircase.

As soon as they were out of sight, Isiah pushed Dottie against the wall, attaching his lips on to hers. She slips his tongue in to his mouth, smiling against the kiss as he rubs his thumbs against her underwear line protruding from her thin dress.

He presses his body in to hers, "I want to move in," he murmurs against her lips. "I want to wake up every day next to you, Dots."

Dottie doesn't say anything, she groans when Isiah bites her bottom lip. He pulls away from her, his hand holding her jaw.

"What do you think, pretty girl? Imagine this beside you every night?"

"It would be nice for the girls," Dottie hums, "they've missed you. I've missed you, especially when you remind me how protective you are."

Isiah hums, he leans his forehead against hers. "I love you, Thea."

Dottie doesn't respond again, instead her eyes race around his.

"I've loved you from the minute I saw you in the Garrison when you were drunk and searching for Tommy. You're the most beautiful girl to me, Dots, and I'll go to the end of the world to prove it to you."

His free hand pushes his fingertips in to his trouser pocket. He gently pulls his hand out to show Dottie. A gold and silver ring sits between his thumb and forefinger. A large diamond sits in the middle crested between two metal springs forced in a heart.

"Let me prove it to you." He whispers, "let me prove how much I love you, Dottie."

Dottie nods, feeling the tears well up in her eyes. "Marriage?"

"Marriage," Isiah confirms, "is promise I will spend the rest of my life treating you like the angel you are."

Dottie nods, "yes. Yes, fucking yes."

The ring slips easily on to her forth finger on her left hand. She grins as Isiah backs her back in to the wall, taking hold of her mouth.

"I'll marry you tomorrow if you wanted," Dottie reveals. She leans towards Isiah, letting their lips touch.

Isiah deepens the kiss as Dottie wraps her arms around his neck, hitching her leg up to wrap around his. He smiles against her lips.

However, he suddenly pulls away when he hears car tires screech against the gravel stones outside. Then a loud crash follows.

A Bang.