Fifty-Seven

1929

Dottie sits upon the steps of Rosemary's garden. She had taken Micheal's advice, taking Eliza and Florence away. Their first little holiday was with Esme, catching up with the children as well as keeping Esme informed with everything that was happening. The second little break was to Rosemary's, much to Polly's disappointment.

Dottie hadn't heard much from Micheal whilst he's been gone, however she always took that as good news. If something bad had happened, then he would have written to her.

Eliza, now seven, and Florence, now five, run around Rosemary's garden. They both giggle as the dog chases them. Their bulldog named Mabel. Dottie had surprised the girls with it on one day after Micheal had moved to America and Isiah had moved out of the house. She found the bed too cold and too lonesome, many nights she turned to alcohol, and the following night she found a pup laying in the street starving.

The girls were thrilled to have a dog, especially Eliza who had been begging for a dog for years.

Dottie and Isiah stayed friends, he was around for the girls, always being less than a thirty minute drive if Dottie called him back for one of the girls. He didn't mind so much, he adored both Eliza and Florence.

Now as Dottie watches Mabel chase after Eliza and Florence she smiles, Rosemary steps from behind her, giving her a new cup of tea.

"Cheers," Dottie says, nodding her head towards Rosemary who nods back and bends down, taking a seat on the step beside Dottie.
"Had enough of chasing the girls?"

Rosemary nods, "your girls could run a marathon easily," she comments, a small smile working its way up to her face, "how's Henry?"

"Henry's good," Dottie responds, ignoring the ache in her chest as she calls him Henry, "he's in New York now."

Rosemary smugly smiles, "I always knew he would make something of himself, that boy. He's too smart, always have been."

Dottie hums, "I'm surprised he's still in America. He loves the girls far too much, always spoils them."

"He hasn't come back? Not even for a visit?"

Dottie shakes her head, sipping on her tea. "Oi! Eliza! Don't push your sister down! That's cheating!" He exclaims as Eliza looks guiltily at Dottie.

Eliza stares at Dottie, a mischievous smirk on her face, as she stretches out her hand and helps Florence to stand up. She then tilts her head, and smiles innocently.

"She's got the devils smirk, that girl," Rosemary comments.

"She's been with Mum for too long," Dottie says with a small smile. She then drops her smile when she realises what she's said.

Rosemary hesitates before speaking, her smile falling. "Yes. Her grandmother." She places her cup of tea down on to the stone pathway and stands up, brushing the imaginary dirt away from her dress. She then bends down, picking up the mug.
"I must start dinner."

She begins to walk away when Dottie reaches out, grasping her hand.

"You know I appreciate you, don't you, Mam?"

Rosemary nods, a small smile on her face. "I know you do, dear. Whether you like it or not, you've always been my girl, Dorothea."