Twelve

In the brisk morning, both Dottie and Micheal sit on two mental chairs, with a mug of tea in each hand. They both stare in to the garden, the frost of the money settling upon the grass. There's a bird in a tree at the end of the garden. The set of siblings watch as the bird sings, then it flies away, leaving Dottie and Micheal staring at the steam that's emitting from the mugs of tea in their hands each.

They do this every year. No matter where they are. Sitting out, watching the world go by. Every where on the same day, even when they were in the care of some elderly nuns. They found a way to be together. On a specific day. Micheal's birthday. Always on Micheal's birthday. It's one day Dottie tries to set everything aside, to give her brother some happiness on the one day that he doesn't need to think about her. Instead, he can think about himself. Only himself.

"Happy birthday," Dottie says, smiling at her younger brother. She uses her free hand to dig in to her dressing gown pocket, pulling out a small wrapped present. She hands it to him.
"It's not a lot, but it's better than what I've done before."

Micheal tilts his head subconsciously. He stares at his sister, taking hold of the small present. "You didn't have to get me anything, Thea."

"It's the first year I've been able to get you something," Dottie responds, "now come on. Open it up."

Micheal nods, placing his cup of tea down on to the table. He tears in to the brown wrapping it, tossing it on to the table, to reveal a small gold case. He flips it open to reveal some small and thin cigarettes.

"Dottie," he starts, hesitating on what words to use, "I don't smoke."

Dottie smirks, snatching the case out of his hand. "I know, only joking with you. This is mine," she digs her free hand back in her dressing gown pocket, and pulls out a gift box. She smiles and hands it over to Micheal, who skeptically takes it.

The box is small, and draped in a blue fabric over the top. He raises his eyebrows at Dottie, she nods, urging him to open it. He looks back down at the box, unsure what to expect. He lifts the lid off to reveal a large gold locket.

He flips the locket over. A pocket watch looks back at him.

"Look at the engraving," Dottie urges.

He looks back at the front of the pocket watch.

To my little brother, thank you for all you do for me. Love your Thea

Micheal looks back up at Dottie. "Thank you, Thea."

Dottie smugly smiles, sitting back in her chair. "Tom wanted to get you one, but I beat him to it. Mum told him to get you something else."

"You didn't need to get me anything," Micheal says, looking down at the watch.

"I know, but you have done so much for me. I wouldn't know what to do without you. Without my annoying little brother."

"Hey!"

"I'm just saying. You're a thorn in my side."

"You're a nuisance." Micheal retorts back, he continues looking at the pocket watch, it becomes heavy in his hands, "how did you afford it?"

"Well I had some money left over from The Lion." Dottie vaguely says, waving her hand in the air. She stops when Micheal stares at her.

"I thought you had spent all of your wages," Micheal frowns, "that's what you told me."

"I thought I did," Dottie agrees simply, "but I found some. In my suitcase."

"In your suitcase? I packed your suitcase, I didn't see any money," Micheal argues back, trying to keep his voice low and his tone soft so they older girl didn't flee.

Micheal has always referred to his sister as a deer. When the headlights were struck on her, she fled.

"I didn't steal it."

"Dottie—"

"I promise," Dottie adds, "I was with Polly— Mum, I meant. For fuck sake, I thought I was being nice—"

"You are being nice," Micheal interjects, his eyes beaming on to his older sister.

Dottie stands up, shaking her head. "Well, clearly you still think of me as some slimy rat," she exclaims before she shakes her head and walks off, back in to the house.

Micheal watches as she leaves, then he hangs his head, staring at the pocket watch.

Polly had tried to ignore the tension between the Gray siblings. However, as the day grew, so did the tension. It got to the stage where Dottie refused to eat in the same room as Micheal, glaring at him from across the table as he bit in to a sandwich, totally unbothered by his older sister's outburst.

Polly had groaned, asking Micheal what's wrong, however all he did was shrug. Her next target would be Dottie, however as soon as she entered a room, Dottie left, making the older woman's stomach churn.

The first time Polly had gotten both siblings in to the same room was when she offered Dottie a biscuit. Dottie was lured in to the sitting room, and Polly locked the door behind her, slamming it shut and causing the girl to turn around and groan frustratedly.

"Mum," she moans. "What you doing?" She asks, trying to ignore her bothers presence.

"I want to know what's happening with you two," Polly states in a no-nonsense type of tone.

Micheal shakes his head, refusing to answer, and allowing Dottie to sigh.

"Micheal thinks I'm a thief," she says simply, "I gave him his birthday present this morning, but Micheal insinuated I stole it. Because he's got that much hope in me."

"Thea, it's not that, it's just I know you—"

Dottie turns to look at Micheal, "all I have ever done is provide for you."

"I know that," Micheal argues back, "and I'm grateful for that, I really am, Thea, but now you don't have to provide for me. You don't have to steal anything anymore, Thea," he steps forward, "we're safe now."

Dottie steps back causing Micheal to freeze.

"I didn't steal that pocket watch," Dottie says, her voice little as if she's a naughty child being told to say she's sorry. "Mum can vouch for me."

Polly nods, "she didn't steal it. She bought it." She confirms making Dottie cross her arms over her chest.

"Thank you, Dots," Micheal then states, "I'm sorry for accusing you. Even though I didn't really accuse you—"

Dottie raises an eyebrow.

"All I'm saying is," Micheal starts, frowning slightly as he hesitates, "you don't need to look after me anymore. You don't need to get in trouble to protect me."

Dottie's harsh expression turns in to an expression of heart break.

"I don't mean it like that. I love you, Dots, you're my sister, but you've never been able to have the same freedom as I do. You've always been the big sister, the one taking care of me, making sure I'm okay. And all I'm saying is you don't need to do that anymore."

Dottie doesn't respond, she carries on staring at Micheal with the same heartbreaking expression. Her eyes pool with tears. Micheal goes towards her, goes to comfort her but she steps back.

"I'm really grateful for everything you've done," he says slowly, "you've done so much for me. You've always been my main supporter."

Polly watches from the door. Her heart urges her to go and scoop up her daughter, however her brain is telling her to stay away, knowing Dottie's issues with Micheal lays far deeper than Polly initially suspected.

Dottie finally speaks. Her voice croaky.

"You don't need me then?"