Seventy

A teenage set of siblings sit in the village upon an old bench. They stare at the well in front of them as the sun beams down, creating the white bricks to glisten.

"I hate that stupid thing," Henry mutters under his voice, glaring at the water well. He watches as children line up with their parents, coins in their hands, getting ready to think of a wish as they chuck the coin in.

"Everyone else likes it," Dottie responds calmly, shrugging as she kicks her legs.

The siblings sit in silence as they watch their neighbours pass. Dottie watches as families pass them, nodding their heads to say a silent hello. They always do to Henry, not so much to Dottie.

"Oi. Who's that?" Henry asks, elbowing Dottie's ribs.

Dottie turns her head towards the church. She sees a young man with a pristine suit on. Being led out by one of the church's pastor. He stops him, and speaks to him.

Dottie leans forward, "fuck knows. Looks posh though."

"Reckon he's rich?" Henry asks.

Shaking her head, Dottie frowns, "fuck knows," she replies casually. She stares at the young man, her eyes dancing over his pointed features and brushed hair.
"Reckon he'sfrom London."

"London? Why London?"

"He looks like it," Dottie responds back, "he looks like the men in the newspaper. The one Mam reads in the morning."

"He's rich then."

Dottie hums, "maybe. Maybe he's looking for a holiday house. You know rich people have that, don't you? Mam reads it all the time in the paper, says to me about the politicians in London running away to their country house."

Henry blinks, "when have you ever taken notice of what Mam says?" He asks, almost ironically, as he looks back at the man.
"He looks smug."

"I reckon that's why he's here. Reckon he's a politician or something. Watch it, he'll introduce himself, and soon he'll be our saviour."

Henry raises an eyebrow as Dottie stares back at the pastor and the stranger.
"Not that you've ever needed a saviour, Thea, have you?"

Dottie huffs in response as she continues to glare at the man. As Dottie looks to the church, the man's attention seems to draw on the young teenager. His beady eyes draw over Dottie.

Henry scowls as a child drops a coin in to the white bricked well. It hits the water with a loud plop.

"Mam never let us do that," he begins to groan as Dottie watches the man excuse himself from the pastor.

Dottie snickers, turning to Henry, "jealous are we? Of what, a five year old?"

Micheal grumbles in response, "shut it."

Neither one of the siblings notice the tall man walk towards them. They only notice when it's far too late to move. The man approaches them with a smile upon his small lips.

Dottie instantly smiles, leaning her head slightly. "Hello sir," she says, her voice raspy. "Are you new to the village?" She asks, batting her eyelashes as Henry frowns.

"I am indeed," the man responds, "I need someone to show me around... would you do the honours..."

"It's Dorothea," Dottie replies.

"What a lovely name," the man responds, taking hold of her hand and bringing it up to his lips. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Dorothea. I'm Oswald."

                                    —

Dottie scowls, glaring at Tommy as she stands with her hands on her hips.
"Don't you understand Tommy? He clearly remembers me!"

"He called you Dorothea—"

Dottie's eyebrows furrow, "yes; and yet you introduced me as fucking Dottie. So where would he get my name from, Tom? Eh? No one calls me Dorothea!"

Tommy sighs, itching his forehead with his hand, "I don't know, Dottie, but this... this ain't important right now—"

Dottie's scowl deepens as Tommy tilts his head right now.

"Right. So you've met someone who you use to know, and now you're complaining, Dots? Eh? Over someone you use to know? What am I meant to do about that?"

Dottie stares at Tommy. Her eyes bulging as Tommy drops his shoulders.

"Tell me what you want me to do, Dots.  Tell me!"

Dottie frowns. "You don't understand, do you? He lived in the village, Tommy. He got me pregnant, and left when I told him I was pregnant." Dottie reveals, shaking her head.

"Loads of girls get themselves pregnant, Dottie—"

"I didn't get myself pregnant, Thomas! He got me pregnant!" Dottie spits back at him, glaring.

"I can't do anything about that, Dottie," Tommy says, taking off his glasses, "besides, what do you want me to do, eh? Want me to go back in fucking time?"

Dottie tilts her head. "Don't you fucking swear at me, Thomas."

Tommy stares at Dottie.

"You know, Tom, the more time I spend with you the more I pity Lizzie. Whatever she did in her past life to end up with you must have been horrendous."

Without another word, Dottie drops her hands from her waist. She spins on her heels and struts out of Tommy's office, coming face to face with a teary Arthur.

"Arthur?" Dottie questions, walking in to his chest as he sniffs, "what's wrong?" She asks, looking up at him and holding his cheek. She wipes at the tear stained patches.

"It's Linda... she's left, Thea. She left me."

"Oh Arthur," Dottie replies, pulling him in to her arms, "come here," she adds, as he wraps his arms around her waist.

Arthur burrows his head in to Dottie's shoulder, and within moments Arthur's sobbing breathes can be heard throughout the corridor.

Dottie feels her heart rip for her older cousin. Sure, he wasn't the best person, but he loved Linda with his whole heart. He did everything she had asked for him to do, and yet all she did was try to change him.

"It's alright," Dottie coos, stroking his hair as his grip tightens. "It's alright, Arthur. You're okay."

Dottie once got on very well with Linda. Both Linda and Esme had helped Dottie to recover from being apart from Florence during her time in the mental institution. The two had grown close as Linda and Esme were brought up with younger brothers and sisters. The pair easily helped Dottie, cleaning up her house when she couldn't and taking care of Eliza when Dottie and Isiah were asleep or their hands were filled.

However, when they arrived back in Small Heath, Linda wasn't happy. She had made that clear to Dottie at John's funeral. She hated the family, she hated Tommy and how Tommy used Arthur. But most of all, she hated Arthur's loyalty to Tommy. No one came above Tommy, even Dottie knew that.

Arthur blabbers, his eyes streaming.

"Fuck Linda, eh, Arthur?"