Sixty-Five

The family gather around Charlie Strong's yard. Half reason to celebrate Polly's forty fifth birthday, and half to commemorate the death of Bonnie Gold. Dottie didn't know him, but she knew of him, she knew of a parent's pain when a child died, and therefore she was sympathetic, standing with Polly.

Finn is the first to greet them. He hands Polly a rose, kissing her cheek. "Happy birthday, Pol." He says, pulling away from her.

"They grow grand in the horse sh¡t, Pol." A man called Curly says as Tommy stares at him.

"Curly, pour some beer, eh?" Suggests Tommy, a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. He lights a cigarette up as Curly walks away.

Micheal looks across the family to Dottie, who's frowning.

"The train to London leaves in an hour. Arthur, Michael, you're coming with me." Tommy declares as Micheal clears his throat.

"Tommy, I have to take Gina to the hospital today." Micheal says, as Curly gives a pint of beer to Dottie and to Polly.

Dottie thanks him with a smile, placing the glass up to her lips.

"A week ago, one of our most trusted men was killed by Jimmy McCavern.
The man we're going to speak to in London is establishing a relationship with Jimmy McCavern. So cancel your appointments, and Ada and Dottie can take Gina to the hospital."

"That's what women do." Arthur speaks up.

Taking the glass down from her lips, Dottie raises an eyebrow. "That's what women do, is it? While you men are off out fighting with your cocks?"

Tommy rolls his eyes, looking at Dottie as Lizzie smiles proudly, "Dottie, I have a meeting today. A very important meeting, so please, take Gina to the hospital."

Dottie raises an eyebrow, "so important the father of her child can't do it?" She asks, waiting for Tommy to respond.

Tommy grunts, ignoring Dottie's voice. "Clean that sh¡t off your shoes before you get in my car, eh?" He says, addressing Micheal who shakes his head, scoffing.

"Michael, they will give it and give it until your case is proven, and then they'll take it. From you, but mainly from me." Polly responds as Dottie finishes her beer.

"Polly, you go to the hospital and speak to Aberama Gold. You tell him there is a strategy in place to avenge the death of his son, so not to do anything rash. And take with you the heartfelt condolences of the whole family."

"Why me?" Questions Polly, her eyebrows raising.

"Because Aberama Gold is in love with you. He even got a haircut. And the smell of your perfume might help ease his pain." Tommy responds, half sarcastically.

"Tommy, I'm 45 years old today." Reveals Polly.

"45 years old and still breaking hearts, eh?" Tommy says.

"Yeah!" Arthur cheers as Tommy raises his pint glass.

"To Polly!" He cheers.

"Polly Gray, hmm?" Arthur says, a large smile on his face hiding underneath his moustache.

Charlie Strong also raises his glass. "Polly."

"Happy Birthday, Pol, yeah?" Curly says, his voice very child like.

Dottie watches him. She wonders if he fought in France, she wonders if he lost part of himself in France and the only way he can feel safe is by being childlike. She smiles at him nonetheless, finding him a sweet man.

"Curly, organise a wagon to take Bonnie Gold's soul to heaven. Isiah, fetch his boxing gloves from the gym to burn with his body." Tommy orders before he looks at Dottie.
"Pick Ada up, will you? And take Gina to the hospital."