Fifty-Two

Tommy, upon entering Micheal's hospital room, stared at Dottie for some unknown reason. She glared back at him, however after a while her glare softened in to a frown. She wasn't sure why he kept staring at her, even when she looked away to her mum or Ada, he continued to stare. Only when he began to talk did he stop staring.

"Sorry I'm late. Where's Arthur?" He asks, looking around the table.

"Do I look like his fucking mother?" Polly scoffs, the attitude in her voice rife as Dottie and Micheal share a look with each other.

"Right. Before we start this extraordinary general meeting of the board of the Shelby Company Limited, I'd like to note the absence of the Deputy Vice President who has not yet arrived. We will continue without his presence." Tommy says as Ada and Lizzie flip open a large flat book each.

Dottie pulls her bag on to the table. She pulls a couple of cigarettes out, handing one to Ada, Lizzie and Polly. Dottie's lighter then dances around the table, lighting up each cigarette. Dottie lights up her cigarette last, throwing it back in her bag and clasping her bag shut.

"Item number one. The reinstatement of the Shelby Company Limited Company Treasurer. The board welcomes back the former treasurer,
with generously improved terms and conditions. Due to the exceptionally difficult circumstances the company now finds itself in. The proposed treasurer will now check the terms and conditions to see if they are in order."

Ada hands over a price of paper to Polly, watching her closely as Polly skims it over, her eyes dancing to every word.

"Item number two." Tommy continues, "during the absence of the Company Accountant, due to ill health, all responsibility for the keeping of company accounts pass to the head of acquisitions."

Dottie looks over at Micheal again, seeing Micheal nod his head, acknowledging Tommy's words.

"Item number three. The Company Treasurer, having read the terms and condition, lodges a signed contract of employment agreeing to the terms and conditions with the temporary head of accounts. All those in favour of the reinstatement of Mrs Elizabeth Gray, to the position of Shelby Company Limited Company Treasurer, please raise your hands."

Micheal, Ada and Lizzie raise their hands in sync. Tommy next as Dottie does so too.

"Why goodness, thank you." Polly says, rolling her eyes.

"Any other business?"

"Right. I declare this extraordinary general meeting over." Tommy says, sitting back slightly. "Now we can talk about the real business. But for that we need Arthur. Where the fuck is Arthur?"

"Probably shagging Linda," Dottie responds, "you know Linda hates living in Small Heath, don't you? So does Arthur from what Linda's said."

Tommy rolls his head, his eyes lingering on Dottie. He then scoffs. "I've apologised, Dottie, what more do you want?"

Raising her eyebrows, Dottie leans forward. "I don't want anything to do with you, Tommy."

Tommy lifts up his chin as Dottie stares  coldly at Tommy. When Tommy looks away, down at his lap.

A heavy silence hangs in the air as a nurse steps in to the room. Her heels clicking against the floor.

"Sorry, ladies, there's no smoking in here." She says.

"Yes, love, we know." Polly is quick to respond, standing up and showing her to the door. She smirks, half smirk and half smile, as she walks back to the table.

"All right," Tommy grumbles, "he's an hour late. Fuck him. This business directly affects Arthur, but he's not here, so we'll take a vote without him."

"What business?" Ada asks, frowning slightly.