Forty-Three

Polly claps, standing to the side of the stage as she welcomes up Tommy, who sheepishly walks to the stage, climbing up the steps and breathing out. He looks in to the audience.

Arthur is the first to make a noise: he shouts, "say it, Tom. Say it to 'em!"

Eliza squirms in Dottie's hold. She wiggles around on Dottie's lap.

"Stay still, baby," Dottie whispers, bowing her head down to Eliza's ear.

Eliza turns her head round to look at Dottie. "I want Nana," she says, trying to escape her mother's hold, however Dottie keeps hold of her waist.

"Nana will be back in a second, for now, how about go to uncle Micheal? Eh? Will he do?" She asks in a quiet voice.

Eliza nods her head so Dottie hits Micheal's thigh with her knee. She nods her head towards Eliza, and he grins, taking hold of her and placing her on his knee. Eliza sits happily against his chest, looking up at Polly with doe like eyes.

"Erm, I didn't come here today to make a speech, but I will say this. These children are now safe. In our care, they will be safe. Because we are from the same cold streets as they are. And in our care, they won't be shipped away to the colonies, or separated from kin," Tommy says, making eye contact with Dottie, "or made to work for men in their various ways. They will grow up here, at home... loved... in Birmingham. Because this is our city.
By order of the Peaky Blinders."

There's a loud cheer irrupting from the Shelby brothers. They agree wholeheartedly with Tommy. Their cheers caused for a round of applause. Dottie can almost hear the lonely widows at the back of the room swoon over Tommy.

Polly steps back up to the pedestal. She smiles. "Now let us sing Immortal, Invisible."

                                    —

After a photograph was taken of the large family, the family was dispersed, talking to different people about different conversations whilst the children ran around. Dottie was hesitant to allow Eliza to play with her cousins, considering she knew the priest. She didn't want her little girl to meet him. She would hate for that to happen.

However, her mind was out at ease when Mary, Tommy's most trusted maid, greeted Dottie with a smile, and Eliza threw herself at the older woman, hugging her gently.

Dottie was thankful for Mary. She was a kind woman, who looked after Eliza and Charlie like her own. She also seemed to care for Tommy, but in a motherly sense.

Once child free, Dottie was free to talk to whoever. Her eyes made contact with strangers, smiling pleasantly at them, however when she saw Isiah she made a beeline for him.

"Alright, Dottie," he greets, tipping his head slightly.

Dottie breathes out, then she speaks, very quickly. Her fingers around her glass clench against the neck of the glass.
"I'm pregnant, and I think it may be your baby but I'm not one hundred percent sure, but it's okay because I'm going to raise this baby—"

Isiah raises his eyebrows when Dottie stops for some air. He places his hands on her arms, a tingling sensation irrupts on her skin.

"It's alright, Dots," Isiah says. "Take a deep breath, and tell me again. This time, remember to breathe when you're speaking."

Dottie stares at him. "I'm pregnant, and I think the baby is yours."

Isiah doesn't respond.

"I don't know for sure if the baby is yours," Dottie continues, "but I'm hoping so. I'm praying the baby's yours."