Twenty

An exhausted Dottie sits on the sofa in the living room. In her arms, against her chest, is baby Eliza, bundled up in a blanket and fast asleep, listening to her mothers heart.

After leaving hospital, Dottie found sometimes the only way she could glam the wailing baby was to put her against her heart. She believes Eliza feels comforted by the sound of a rhythmic beat.

Dottie stares forward. Her skin pale, with slight freckles dancing along her skin. Her eyes are sunken in, with large black and blue bags hanging underneath them. Her clothes have begun to hang of her, her cheek bones prominent to anyone who looked at her. It seems motherhood has been affecting Dottie.

However, having a newborn baby in the house wasn't affecting Reggie, who stands in the living room shrugging on a coat and fixing his tie in the mirror. He smoothes down his hair next.

"When will you be home?" Dottie asks quietly, conscious of her brother and her mother sleeping upstairs, much to the disappointment of Reggie.

"Later," he dismissively says, "reckon I'll be finished around five, then will need to go to the shops. We don't have any food..." he turns round, looking at Dottie, his eyes glaring in to hers, "how is she this morning?"

Dottie looks down at Eliza, "okay, I think—"

"So your mum and brother can move out?" He asks, raising his dark eyebrows slightly. He tilts his head when Dottie hesitates, "we don't have the room nor the money."

Dottie doesn't answer causing Reggie to irritably sigh.

"You not going to answer me, eh? Am I talking to myself?"

Dottie looks down at Eliza, she strokes the baby's back, as if to comfort herself.
She looks back up at Reggie.
"We do have the room, Reg... Mum's in the bigger spare room, and Micheal's in the smaller one, plus Eliza won't need her own room until she's older—"

Lifting up his jaw, Reggie crosses his arms over his chest, flexing his biceps, "you're full of answers today, aren't you?"

Dottie ignores him, ignoring that look he's burning in to her. "Plus, if we need money, I can ask Mum or Michael, or even Tom—"

He steps forward causing Dottie to quickly stop talking. When he's in front of her, he kneels down.

"I am not asking your family for money. They already hate me, they already say I don't provide for you... what will they say when you ask for money, eh?"

Dottie doesn't respond.

"Considering you've been a fucking mess and haven't spoken more than two words to anyone, you've suddenly got all the answers, haven't you? Have you been thinking about this? Been telling your mum and brother about this?"

She shakes her head, pushing Eliza further in to her chest. Reggie frowns.

"I'm not going to hurt her. I would never hurt my baby." Reggie says, his voice cracking slightly, "is that really how you think of me?"

Dottie doesn't respond.

Reggie lifts up his chin, "when have I hurt her, Thea?" He asks, his voice small and gentle, causing Dottie to suddenly think of when they first met.
"I swear I would never hurt her."

"I know."

"Do you?" Reggie responds, "from the way your knuckles are turning white, I wouldn't say you do." He stands up and leans over Dottie, grabbing hold of his wallet on the small cabinet behind the sofa. He then kissed her forehead and steps back.

"When you see Arthur, will you ask him to get me some snow?"

Reggie lifts his eyes brows up, he rubs his fingers across his temple. "I thought we decided you wouldn't touch that now you've got the tablets from the hospital."