[𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄]

____________

3rd person pov
____________

    "Sweetie, you need to wake up," a young woman whispers urgently to the little girl sleeping peacefully in her bed with a small smile stretched across her face.

    "Mom? What's wrong?" The girl sits up slowly; sleepiness still shrouding her eyes as she rubs them a few times.

    "I can't explain right now. You just need to remember that no matter what happens your dad and I love you." The woman's voice is urgent but laced with sadness as she quickly puts a woollen coat onto her child; buttoning it up with shaking hands.

    "What are you talking about? What's going on?" The girl's eyes are wide as her mother hands her a backpack stuffed with clothes before walking over to the window in the corner of the room and pulling it open.

    "I need you to be brave for me, okay? Run into the woods and go to our treehouse. Don't look back. No matter what you see." With her last words spoken, the mother embraces her young daughter in a tight hug before helping her out through the window; watching her run off with tear brimmed eyes as she hears the front door slamming followed by the sounds of heavy footsteps and the thudding of a cane with each step.

    "Be safe, my little Wren."

~~~

The girl heaves for breath as she runs, gripping the straps of her backpack with white knuckles. The sound of her steps are accentuated by the crackling of leaves while her path is illuminated by the bright full moon shining down on her.

She isn't sure why she's running but she follows her mother's instructions closely and heads for the little treehouse that sits near the centre of the woods.

Reaching the wooden house that sits high amongst the trees, she begins to climb up the rope ladder but falters when she hears a deafening sound ringing throughout the woods.

A scream. Her mother's scream.

With wide eyes, the girl mindlessly drops her bag before running as fast as she can towards her home, tears falling down her rosy cheeks.

She stumbles into her home through the door that lays off of its hinges, treading carefully around the shards of broken glass before halting in her tracks as she eyes a large puddle of red seeping out from behind the leather sofa.

With cautious steps, she walks forward and peers behind the sofa. She lets out a gasp and stumbles backwards, falling to her knees, for right infront of her lay the slashed apart bodies of her mother and father.

Sobs start to wrack her small body as she finds herself unable to tear her eyes away from the gruesome scene.

Focused on her parents' bodies, she doesn't notice the sound of a set of footsteps walking up behind her, nor does she notice the man with glazed over eyes kneeling beside her.

    "It's okay, little one," the man whispers as he lays a hand on her shoulder, "you're safe now."

He brushes away her long auburn tresses to expose the back of her neck before flicking out his claws and swiftly pushing them into her neck. The girl stiffens and her eyes become unfocused as the man starts to slowly flick through her memories before retracting his claws.

    "W-what happened? Where a-am I?" The girl questions as the man turns her away from the body of her parents. Her wide eyes meet his blind ones as a small smirk falls upon his lips.

    "Who are you?" The girl mutters, fear lacing her voice.

    "You can call me Deucalion."

4 years later