[𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘]

𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐘𝐈𝐍𝐆 at home today to discuss the ‘shadow ninjas’ as Aiden calls them, from last night with her dad and Isaac, Lydia offers to give me a ride to school. It’s a mostly silent drive as I stare out of the window, watching the passing houses and kids walking to school silently while listening to the radio playing in the background. 

Upon arrival at the bustling school, I bid Lydia goodbye before meeting up with Mason by the stairs and walking together to our first class of the day. 

    “I was thinking you should come over to my place for a movie night on Saturday. I just got the new Transformers movie and we could watch it with Liam,” Mason suggests.

    “Who’s Liam again?” I ask, briefly remembering him mentioning his friend from another school.

    “Liam Dunbar. He goes to that fancy prep school across town,” Mason reminds me. I nod slowly as I remember the boy Mason mentioned, he’s been urging for us to meet up for the last two weeks or so.

    “Sure, I’m free on Saturday as long as it's in the afternoon. Just text me the time,” I let him know as we enter Maths and sit in two empty desks beside each other. Allison and I are going to the reserve Saturday morning and I'm looking forward to spending some more time with her.

I open my backpack and pull out my workbooks as the teacher enters and begins the lecture.

Barely twenty minutes into class and I’m finding it hard to focus on the board in front of me, my hand permanently stuck to the spot behind my ear as I trace the five. I wore my hair down today so that Nolan or Mason wouldn’t spot my new ‘tattoo’ and question it. After the two hours of sleep I got last night, I had to drink three coffees just to get out of bed. 

I glance up at the board periodically and scribble down a few brief notes but I’ll probably ask Mason if I can copy his at lunch anyways. 

As I glance up at the clock hanging at the front of the room I notice it’s already been an hour and the bell suddenly rings, making me blink as the kids around me are quick to gather their things. 

    “You okay?” I glance over at Mason who has already packed up all of his books before nodding and quickly shoving my books into my backpack, zipping it up before following Mason out of the classroom.

    “I’m just tired. I had a long night last night,” I reply to Mason as we walk down the hall.

    “Did you go to that blacklight party a bunch of the Juniors and Seniors went to? I heard it was pretty crazy,” Mason mentions, “I was going to go but I ended up just watching scary movies with Liam.” 

    “Parties aren’t really my thing,” I say with a glance to Mason as we arrive at our next class for the day, Biology. 

As we enter the class, I notice that the sub is gone and we have our new teacher, Mrs. Martin. I nab a desk by the window before glancing over at the teacher who is sitting behind her desk already as the class slowly fills up. You can tell the resemblances between her and Lydia easily, they both share the same face shape and eye colour although Mrs. Martin's hair is a brown colour.

As soon as the last student enters, she stands up and closes the door before turning to stand before the board.

    “Good morning, I’ll be your new Biology teacher, overtaking from Mr. Harris. Just to get an idea of your skill level, we’ll be doing a quick pop quiz, don’t worry, though, it won’t count towards your grade,” Mrs Martin informs us as she moves to a stack of papers on her desk and begins to hand them out.