27. Sign

3 YEARS LATER

Drip. Drip. Drip.
Rain poured heavily as drops of water leaked in from the ceiling into a pot. Ariana got a piece of wood, put some nails into the back pocket of her jeans and held the hammer. She climbed onto the kitchen counter top and begun hammering. She needed to invest in a drill. The cottage she had purchased a few months ago was beautiful from its white sandy bricks, thatched roof to the plants that clothed the walls. But the interior and the roof still needed work. Half the house was done and another half remained. Not that she minded, if anything she enjoyed it, although the painting and work could get tiresome and boring.

It was crazy how much it rained out here. Thunder and lightning were almost a frequent thing during Autumn, winter and spring and even into Summer these days. British weather was just so unpredictable except for the rain. As she continued to hammer, her eyes suddenly caught a shadow pass the kitchen window. She immediately clenched the hammer and went towards the window to check. There was no one present but she was sure that something or someone had gone past.

Although three years had gone by, fear was still a prominent feeling that never left Ariana. She sometimes woke up, out of breathe and sweating due to nightmares and couldn't help but look over her shoulder whenever she stepped foot outside. She held onto the hammer tightly as she opened the white front door. She had to check, she had to be sure.

She looked left and then right. It was empty and there wasn't a thing in sight except for the dark trees and bushes. She ought to put some lights out. As she turned to go back into her house, she heard a distant groan. She gulped and wondered whether she should see to the person groaning. It was still raining, but lighter than before. She decided that it was the moral thing to do to at least check. She just hoped it wasn't some drunkard. Besides, she had the hammer for protection.

'Hello?' She called out. Another moan was her reply and she quickly followed the sound which came from behind the sycamore tree at the edge of her front yard. She carefully went round the bend. A man was lying down, leaning against the tree.

'Are you ok?' The man lifted his head and as her eyes met the familiar steel grey eyes, she turned into a statue.

'Ariana?' His voice sounded just as bewildered as she felt. A gust of feelings overcame her and she felt off balance. What the hell was he doing here, she thought? No one had found her in the last three years, not even computer geek Ellie. She couldn't risk seeing Ellie as it might leave a trail behind. They stared at each other and then she looked down and noticed his hand was coloured in crimson as he covered his lower abdomen. There was no way she could just leave him there.

'You're hurt.' She said.

'Yeah. But you should see the other guys.' He smiled although Ariana didn't return it. Aidan's eyes traced her body not that he could see much and stopped in the direction of her arm. She realised she was still holding the hammer which she immediately dropped as she covered herself with her plaid shirt. She walked hesitantly towards him.

'I'll go call an ambulance.'

'Don't call them. I just need some stitches.' He breathed heavily, clearly in pain.

'Well, you'd better come in. You'll die of pneumonia otherwise. Can you get up?'

He shook his head and without another thought she helped him up. Her arms and body tingled at the touch of him. By the time they managed to get inside the house they were both soaked. Ariana helped him sit on the wooden chair in the kitchen. The sofa might have been better, but she didn't want to soak the material.

'I'll just get the first aid kit and everything.' She quickly disappeared, needing space after having his body pressed against hers. All those feelings she thought she had binned came gushing back. God, he was still so handsome, although he had clearly gone through a few punches, and his magical effect on her clearly hadn't faded. Some things still hadn't changed. But for some reason, she didn't mind it that much. She took a breath and quickly returned with the products. His torso was bare as he covered the wound with the bloody grey T-shirt.