12. City break

2 months later

 'What is the latest news?' Anderson puffed on his cigar, with his gaze focused on the newspaper in front of him, and with one leg upon another. Aidan hesitated. 

'Nothing to report Sir,' 

'Nothing. Again Jones, That's not like you at all.' He stopped to take a gulp of the whisky from the heavy cystal glass. 'You have 30 days.' The conversation was over. 

Nonetheless, the message was clear; Get the information, or we'll move in. This was not good. If they decided to take matters into their own hands, God only knew what they'd do to get the information from her, if there was any on the first place.

As he left the listed building, it felt like he had time-travelled back to the modern world.  From the antique maroon leather couches to the gold clocks and old wallpapers, it felt like he had been trasnsported to the 18th century. Men in tailored three piece suits languidly sat around, drinking, smoking, gambling, reading newspapers or conversing in whispered silences, whilst soft classical music playing in the background.Despite growing up in wealth, he hated places like this and the arrongance and pride that suffcated the air.

What was he going to do? He needed her to start opening up. She spoke of memeories but nothing about the debacle that changed her life, nor anything about her family. It was clear she didn't have her parents. All he knew that things had drastically changed when she had turned 18. Everytime, he tried to as, she close up and change the subject, like she still didn't trust him enough to tell him. In a sense she admired her independence and her secret-keeping, like him . A women after his own heart. Simply he had met his match in Arianna. He had took on marriage but it still wasn't enough. Her accent told him that she was from the south and she hated London, although she didn't explain why? And then an idea came to him. 

                                                                         *********

'This is not a good idea.' Ariana mentally sad to herself for the umpteenth time. But Aidan had been adamant. She was meeting his mother. He had announced it and ever since then, she had a tight knot in her stomach. She was not ready but Aidan was eager. He was trying and was right. They had married but she still hadn't met his mother, her mother-in-law! She knew nothing about her except the warning given by Alicia which was to be extra careful around her and good luck. Even Alicia didn't seem to like her much.  Nothing much to go by but it was clear, this women was probably cold and calculating. 

Ariana had already looked through her wardrobe, dresses from high street stores were not going to cut it. She had gotten the hint when Aidan had asked her if any of it was designer. Despite her love for designer heels and bags, and all the items Aidan had given her, there were no evening dresses. Ariana wasn't a women who cared about what others thought about her, but for some reason she cared about her mother-in-law impression. She was keen to make an impression or feel some sort of acceptance to say the least. 

'We're going to London.' Aidan said, as she opened her front door, the next morning. 

'No way. You know I hate London.' Ariana turned away. She didn't really hate it but some aspects did infuriate her. Besdies, she couldn't go back there. He was there. She shuddered to the thought of bumping into him. She just couldn't risk it. AIdan stopped her by hugging her from her back, and kissing her neck. She closed her eyes.

'Call it a mini honeymoon, a city break. We'll go this weekend.'

'That's in a day.' But he ignored her and continued. 

'Stay at a 5-star hotel. dine out, go to the theatre and shopping for a dress. This weekend is all my treat.' 

Ariana closed her eyes and for protested for a few more minutes. Aidan let go and stood in front of her.