A new day, A new mission - Chapter 5

I was awoken by the voice of a Coven scout. Did I sleep in? I don't usually sleep in but I guess I was just tired from the previous night. Anyways, I quickly put on my uniform, minus the cape and mask, and left my room. I had to get to the Emperor as soon as possible to retreive my mask. Loads of people were going to see me if I didn't. I rushed to the throne room, trying to avoid eye contact with other members of the coven. Saying I got a lot of weird looks would be an understatement. I was still a bit worried Uncle Belos would be angry with me.

"Knock knock"
"Hunter, I presume?"
"Yes Uncle Belos, can I come in."
"Of course Hunter,"
I pushed the large doors open, taking a deep breath.
"Oh, those look painful, ahah!"
"I'm fine, thanks. I left my mask here last night? Do you know where it is?"
"Here you go Hunter, do be careful with it. Actually, I have a mission for you"
A mission? I knew he was proud of me! He wouldn't give me a mission if he was still mad.
"There's an ingredient I think I'll be needing soon. I'm worried my current one isn't working as it should. Do you know of Galdor stones?"
"I think so, they're an ancient relic used for amplifying magic, right?"
"That's right! I would like to send you out to collect some from the Looking-glass ruins. Can you do that for me?"
"Of course, Uncle Belos, I'll get going right away."
"That's right Hunter, don't mess up this time."
I felt sharp claws gripping onto my shoulded, scraping into my skin. I placed my mask back on my face, to hide the scars from the previous night and left for my new mission.

Luz POV

I had left the Owl house for a day out. A lot has been going on recently so Eda gave me a few snails and basically told me to treat myself. I was excited to have a day to myself but a bit worried. I can't say I was the best with talking to witches and demons, ect. While walking through crowds, I saw a familiar, blonde, mask wearing boy. Was that the Golden Guard? Who am I kidding, of course it is. At least I know what I'll be doing today. I sneakily followed him. In fact, I wasn't that sneaky, he just seemed ridiculous oblivious. After a few tens of minutes, we arrived somewhere Gus had told me about. The Looking-glass ruins.

Hunters POV

It look about half an hour to get to the ruins. I doubt taking the stones would be all that difficult. As I approached the statue, something passed through my eyes. Did a twig snap? Had somebody been following me? I turned around, holding up my palismen staff.
"Who's there?!" My voice echoed across the ruin. Before I could even blink, something hit me in the head.
"Why are you trying to take the Galdor stones! They're ancient rice, you can't just steal them."
That stupid human is getting in my way, there is no chance I'm failing such a simple task, not again.
"Emperor Belos needs them! I don't understand why it's of any importance to you either?"
"You're still wearing that mask? People won't really recognize you if you don't wear it. To be honest, it's kind of ugly.."

What did she just say? This mask is very important!
"Excuse me? This mask isn't ugly. Even if it were, I wear it to represent previous Golden Guards! It represents- Are you even listening?"
"Well, I'm not letting you steal these!"
You human spoke with such confidence, holding onto a group of glyphs. She seemed to be ready to fight? This was ridiculous. Why does she have to mess up everything.
"Fine, if that's what you want."
I lifted up my staff. I understand how to use it a bit more after going to eclipse lake. But I should still be careful. My body isn't anywhere near being fully healed so I can't do anything to crazy.

I really don't understand why the human was so set on protecting these stones. It's probably only because Belos wants them. The issue with this fight is how sloppy I was. I couldn't really keep up with her. Just as I had gotten close enough, I felt a tall icicle hit my mask to the floor. No no no no no. I can't let her see me like this. The ice disappeared too quickly. She saw, she definitely saw.
"Hunter, what happened to your face. Amity didn't mention you having all those."
"It's nothing. I, um, walked into a spiky tree, yesterday."
"That's looks really bad for a " spiky tree" you need to bandage that up."
This was my chance. She was distracted. I just needed to grab my mask, the stones and then run.
"Hey! Where do you think you're going!"
The human placed down a vine glyph tying me up. I couldn't even use my palismen to get away because of how tight it is.
"Your not leaving until I get answer, so, where did you actually get those? They definitely weren't there when we met and Amity, King or Eda never mentioned them."
"I told you, I accidentally walked into a tree on the way back."
"You never thought to bandage them?"
"I was in a rush. Now, talking about a rush, I'm in a bit of a rush to get those stones. So If you'd just let me-"
"Nu-uh! We're fixing those up! Then you can take those stones or what ever."
"Fine, but this better be quick"
Why does she even want to help me? Why can't she just leave me alone. I mean, if this is the only way to get the stones, I might as well.

I put my mask back on and the human grabbed a few stones.
"I'll give you these when we're done, okay?"
"Fine."
I replied, in a slightly snarky tone. I just want to go back to the castle. The two of us walked through the streets, I guessed looking for somebody she knew from the healing coven.
"This is one of Hexsides healing teachers! They should be able to help"
The teacher looked down at me,
"Is this the Golden Guard? What do you need?"
"I-um,"
I looked towards Luz for help
"He hurt his face by walking into a tree, actually, a spiky tree." Luz told the healer, mocking me in her voice.
"That shouldn't be to difficult, would you mind removing your mask?"
"O-okay."
I couldn't stop stuttering, I was just feeling quite anxious. It sure didn't look like a spiky tree injury and somebody who's job includes things like this would be able to tell easily. I lifted of my mask to hear a loud gasp.
"Are you sure this was a tree?"
"Mhm, it was very sharp."
"Does The Emperor know of this? Should I inform him?"
"No!" I yelled. Shoot, I didn't mean to yell,
"I mean! No, thanks. There's no need."
"Well if you're sure, I'll be able to heal most of these but the rest will have to wait. Some of these are very deep."
"Oh really?"
Luz looked at me. There was no way she was buying this. After the procedure, I talked to her.
"Could I have the stones?"
"It was part of the deal, so here you go"

She passed me a small bag of stones.
"Hunter, I can tell your lying about those scars. But I have a feeling you have a reason for it, so I won't bug you too much. But if there is an issue, you can talk to me about it!"
"Thank you, Luz?"
I quickly walked off to the castle. I did it! I got what Uncle Belos wanted! He's going to be proud of me. I'm finally useful again.

Word count:1333