The Human Realm - Chapter 35

"Hey mum, I'm back.."
A woman, just slightly taller then me, ran towards Luz, hugging onto to her. She looked insanely similar to the human, so I guessed they were related. Also, Luz did call "mum" so that kind of proved it. Once she had noticed the rest of us, she let in.

Apparently her name was Camila, and she was Luz's mum. My eyes looked around. Her house felt cozy, Luz was lucky to live here. She also sat all of us down and helped with any wounds.
"Camila, who was at the door?!"
A voice shouted from upstairs, I felt as if I recognized it, but I couldn't tell where from. Suddenly, a green basilisk emerged from the staircase.
I quickly jolted backwards. There were a few in the castle. I didn't know much, but Belos told me they were very dangerous. What if it tried to take the magic from Amity, Willow and Gus! Yet, Camila and Luz didn't seem worried in the slightest.
"Oh, hello Vee! Luz and her friends are here. I'm just trying to bandage a few of them up, could you lend me a hand?"
The basilisk enthusiastically agreed before walking toward be, who was covered in blood, Belos chunks, and visibly shaking.

She gently wrapped a few bandages around me, as well as removing leftover Belos.
"A lot of this looks quite bad. What happened?"
I couldn't say a word. Even being near her made me anxious. Maybe she seemed nice, but what if it was all an act! I just sat, trembling, in front of her.
"Oh, don't worry! I know I'm a basilisk, but I won't take any of your magic!"
The silence continued until she had finished off, to which she sat on the sofa next too me, trying to spark a conversation.
"Sooo, how did you meet Luz?"
"I-I mission, and another mission."
She stared at me confused, and rightfully so.
"Missions? Were you in the Emperor's coven or something?"
The question made me think. The emperor's coven use to experiment on basilisks, so if she knew I was in it, she would hate me!
"Oh, um, yes"
Wrong answer! Why didn't I just lie?! I didn't want any follow up questions either.
"I'll be back...!"
I quickly rushed outside for a second, I just needed to take a breath.

Luz's POV

I sat down with Camila and Vee, helping everyone out before noticing something.
"Where's Hunter?"
Today was not the day for somebody to go missing, but luckily, Vee responded.
"Well, I was talking to him. And I asked him if he was in the Emperor's coven, almost straight after, he just ran off. I just guessed he was going to the bathroom."
I guess that was a bit of a sensitive topic for him. But, maybe there was a reason he didn't tell Vee. If I remember correctly, the emperor's coven did test on basilisks.
"I'll go check on him!"

I ran upstairs, downstairs and in the basement, but had no luck finding him. It wasn't until I looked outside my window, I noticed a blonde figure, crawled in a small ball shape outside. I quickly darted back downstairs and out the door.
"Hunter?"
There he was, staring into the sky. He seemed stressed as well.
"H-huh? Lu-luz?"
Voice sounding panicked, I moved closer to Hunter.
"What happened?"

Hunter's POV

I pulled myself tighter in a ball formation. Camila had helped us and all I can do is run outside? Why did I have to be so ungrateful. Struggling, I responded.
"B-basilisk, a-and.. I! C-coven."
Luz's head tilted in confusment. I guess I wasn't being all that clear. She rested her hand on my shoulder.
"It's okay Hunter. Just breathe."
I was even given a quick demonstration, which I needed more than expected.

I slowly let air move in and out as I attempted to calm down.
"Hunter, what's going on? Vee said you ran out when she asked you something."
My body shook at the question, but I was much more ready to answer it than last time.
"The Emperor's coven use to experiment on her kind. If she knew I was apart of it, let alone the golden guard, she'd hate me!"
Luz was unconvinced, thankfully, she still tried to comfort me.
"I'm sure she won't hate you. Come on, we still need to set up beds!"
Together, we walked up the small steps.

The door swung open.
"Hey you two! We were just deciding on where everyone should be sleeping!"
Gus spoke, turning back to everyone else.
"So, Vee, Luz and Amity will take Luz's bedroom! I'll go in the guest room. And do you guys want the basement?"
He was pointing towards Willow and I, who were already back to standing beside each other.
"Fine by me!"
Willow agreed before turning to me for a response.
"Mhm, sounds good."

One by one, people left the kitchen to get dressed. Leaving Vee and I, once again.
"Hunter, can we talk..?"
The room sat in complete silence. I was praying someone would come in, forcing me to go get ready, leaving the conversation.
"I-I mean. It is quite late. Maybe it would be best to leave it till tomorrow?"
The basilisk stared at me, a bit disappointed, but also anxious. I can't judge her. Being in captivity your whole life must be horrible.

The second a room was free to get changed, I entered. Camila had some old pyjamas that fit me, so I wore those. I jolted out the room, and downstairs. Avoiding Vee at all costs.
"Oh, hey Hunter!"
Willow sat in the basement, looking tired.
"Hi"
"It's been a long day, hasn't it?
I silently agreed as she layed backwards onto the sofa, yawning loudly. In the basement, there was a small blow-up mattress along with a sofa. It was also covered in all sorts of human stuff, or, just stuff. I walked towards the blow-up bed, taking a seat.

Willow and I talked for a while longer, hours passed and neither of us had noticed.
"I want to find out more about Philip here. Since he use to live in Gravesfeild, maybe I could ask around?"
Willow giggled quietly.
"I don't think people will know much about him! It has been hundreds of years. If you want to know more, you could go to the library?"
Library? Like the ones in the Boiling Isles?
"Yeah, That would be nice actually."
Tossing and turning on the mattress, I heard Willow add something else.
"Im gonna go to sleep, you probably should as well! But, don't forget about the library tomorrow! I think it will be good for you."
I smiled in response.
"Night night Willow."
"Goodnight Hunter"

Word count:1134