The Library - Chapter 37

I began to walk across quiet pathways. I was about surprised there wasn't much noise, but then again, it was still morning. Luz's map wasn't very detailed so I wasn't quite sure where I was actually going. As I got closer to the middle of the city, more and more people were outside. I suppose it was getting to a more of a normal time to go outside now? As I slowly moved round, a tight hand gripped onto me.
"huh-"

Suddenly, I felt myself being pulled back into a dark alleyway by a mysterious figure. Even though I was trying to break free, it's like their grip was as tight as Belos's.
"Hey! Get off me!!!"
Silence. I continued to pull away, but I body still ached from the previous day so it was much more difficult. Before I could react, a cloth covered in what I could guess was chloroform was being thrown towards me. A burst of adrenaline kicked in as I realized what was happening. I threw the stranger to the other side of the alley before running off.

I continued the rest of the journey in fear. Who was this person, why were they trying to put me to sleep? Questions flowed through my head like a river. Feeling a bit anxious, I turned my head to check whether I was being followed, and just my luck, I was. The stranger stood out like a sore thumb. Wearing a large black hoodie and jeans, which would be good for a kidnapper who worked at night. But so far, this person wasn't doing that. I stuck close to the people around me, praying I'd be safe with them.

Around 5 minutes later and I had arrived at the library. The building was huge, almost as big as the one in the Boiling Isles. Not quite though. I gently opened the doors, pushing myself inside. Every wall was lined with bookshelves, except a small counter used for checking out books if you want to take any home. Since I was unsure where to start, I decided the best option was to ask an employee. My eye's fell on a girl, about the same age as Luz. She wore a volunteer uniform and was currently just walking around on her phone.

"Excuse me.. Do you have any books on old Gravesfeild, or the Wittebane brothers? Or-"
She swiftly turned around. Her stare of annoyance quickly changed as she noticed me.
"Heyyy! Are you new here? I don't recognize you? Why do you look so tired? Do we go to the same school? What about that scar? How old are you?"
She bombarded me with random questions, yet still hasn't answered mine.
"Oh, um. I'm just looking for books.."
The girl began getting really close to me, commenting on every little thing.
"Amber, just show him the books!"
A voice shouted from the counter, which thankfully worked. I was getting a bit tired of her.

"Sooo.. These are the Comedy books, Psychological Horror.. Romance?"
She edged closer while mentioning romance.
"Do you have any on Old Gravesfeild?"
She was being extremely difficult. Aswell as that, she could not stop asking questions.
"I didn't catch your name actually!"
"Oh, um, Hunter. What's yours?"
The two of us continued walking through halls while we spoke.
"That is soooo unique! I'm Amber!"
She held out her hand to me, I think waiting for me to shake it.

Finally, we arrived to a section of History books, my eyes shot to an area mentioning old Gravesfeild.
"This is it! History books, huh? Anyways, what's your number?"
I wasn't really sure what she meant by number. My favorite number? No, that didn't feel right.
"Oh, um. Maybe later!"
Trying to avoid further conversation, I walked towards the books I needed. A few caught my eye. 'Old Gravesfeild practices, The Wittebanes' ect ect. Carefully, I picked up a small pile and brought them to check out.

Once I had about 2 weeks worth of ownership, I found a comfy chair to begin reading. I would stay here until about 2pm, then make my way back to Camila's. Luz and I had already decided. Gently opening the first book, I began to read.

The brothers Wittebane

The brothers Wittebane were two young, orphaned children who had moved to Gravesfeild in the 1600s. After learning about the unusual practices, they decided to"-

I was stopped mid sentence due to a tap on the shoulder.
"Really into that book?"
It was Amber. The girl who would not stop asking questions. As much as I wanted to be nice, I also wanted to go back home now.
"Oh, um yeah."
I was trying to rush through ideas of a way to leave that girl, but I couldn't be rude. Amber continued,
"It looks a bit boring.
She was beginning to really get on my nerves. This book wasn't boring at all! It spoke all about Ancient History of Gravesfeild and-
"Ummm. Hello????"
I jolted backwards from her waving hand in front of me.
"I need to go!"

I collected my pile of books before shoving in my bag. This wasn't the experience I was hoping for, but at least I got what I wanted. Quickly, I rushed outside, only to see that guy from earlier. If I was fast enough, I think he won't see me. Yet I knew I still had to be cautious.

Silently, I treaded behind the tall figure, attempting to sneak away. Unluckily, I wasn't sneaky enough. The cold clammy hands grabbed at me once again. This time, restraining them behind me while whispering into my ear.
"You stay silent, okay? If you make a sound, I guarantee your witch friends won't be in the safest of hands."
I audibly gasped in shock, and horror. Did he really just threaten my friends?! I mean, I've done that too.. But for good reason! -ish. Nodding my head, the stranger shoved me away from the public area.

If I wanted to try escape, now was the time to do so. But what if he knew where Camila lived! I shouldn't risk it. And it's obvious the stranger didn't want to take any risks either because the second we were far from anyone else, a large thud hit my head. Slowly, my vision began to blur and my surrounding seemed dark.

Sorry chapers haven't been coming out a bit less often. I've just been getting random bursts of motivation and then really bad writers block! I'll continue working to get them out more often though!

Word count:1059