Chapter 13: An Unappealing Offer, Part II

"Abby," Tristan called in his annoyingly arrogant voice just as I was approaching Sam in the hallway to get his Stats homework. I hadn't understood it and wanted to look over his. I glanced over to Tristan with a groan. Sam watched with a scowl, dropping the apple he'd been eating down to his side, but stayed silent.

"Hey, Tristan," I said blandly as he strode importantly over to where we stood. He came up to me, putting his back to Sam, cutting him out of the conversation. Sam just stepped back, surprised, but said nothing. He glared at Tristan's back, though.

"Hey, beautiful," Tristan greeted. The aftershave he'd doused himself with hit me in an overpowering wave. It was nothing like the crisp, clean scent that always wafted off of Sam. I coughed to clear Tristan out of my lungs. "So, I'm sure you've heard, but I'm throwing a Halloween party on Thursday."

"Nope, haven't heard anything," I lied on an angry impulse. In reality, it was all everyone was talking about, who was lucky enough to get an invitation to one of Tristan's infamous ragers. But I wasn't going to let him in on that.

He frowned, put out. "Well, I am. My parents are going to be out of town, and some of the guys are bringing kegs. It's going to be great."

I shifted my weight, standing with one hand on my hip. "If your coach finds out that you guys are drinking, won't he kick you off the team?"

"Nah, Coach is cool. He never enforces that rule."

"District policy, isn't it?" I pointed out. It was the rule for us on the volleyball team.

"Coach can have a bit of a blind eye when it comes to his star players."

"How lucky for them."

He smiled. "I wanted to let you know that you're invited."

I didn't even think before I responded. The fact that it wasn't a lie was an added bonus. "Sorry, can't make it."

"Really?" he purred, twirling his finger in my hair again. "I'd really like you to come."

"No thanks." I smacked his hand out of my hair and took a step back.

"Still playing hard to get?"

"I'm not playing anything Tristan. I just don't like you." My anger was turning me blunt.

Tristan just gave me a sly smile. "I can wait for you to come around. My offer still stands. We can still hook up, Princess."

I knew exactly what he was insinuating. How dare he think I'd sleep with him? Man, I hated him so much. How dare he think of me like that at all?

I just glared at him in disgusted bewilderment, wondering how someone could be as low and egotistical as him. He just smirked, swiped his thumb over my bottom lip, and swaggered off.

I watched him go, revolted, scrubbing at my bottom lip to get his residue off. I wrinkled my nose and stuck my tongue out at his back, something I had learned from Nate.

Sam didn't say anything, just continued to glare at Tristan's retreating form. I was glad, almost, but kind of disappointed that Sam hadn't said anything as the scene unfolded. Maybe it was a good thing, though. That last thing I wanted was for either of them to think I couldn't defend myself.

Oh well. I mentally shrugged and forgave him for not sticking up for me. "That was weird," Sam finally said.

"Yeah, seriously. He's such a jerk. I hate him." I rolled my eyes and shook my head while the bell rang. Great, I was going to be tardy.

Stupid, stupid Tristan.

Sam worked through his three sandwiches as we chatted at his tree during lunch. He was my opposite in eating habits, reminding me of that children's book about the hungry caterpillar—he could eat and eat and eat and still be hungry, and it amazed me. His grocery bills must be astronomical.

"What do you say we have a horror movie fest for Halloween?" he asked. "I can bring my laptop over and we can watch movies after Nate is in bed."

This was the first time either of us suggested hanging out outside of school, and I was surprised, but pleased, that he was the initiator. Ruefully, I replied, "I say that sounds awesome, but I can't."

He scowled, forgetting the food. "Going to Tristan's party after all?"

I just laughed. Yeah, right. That was the last thing I would ever be doing. "No, I'm working at a haunted house with the volleyball team," I corrected. "Finally, someone appreciates my skill of being able to sit very, very still for a long period of time." I demonstrated, cocking my head and staring at him, not moving, not blinking.

"Very creepy," he approved, going back in for an enormous bite of sandwich number two.

"Perfect for the occasion. And I get paid twenty bucks, so it's all good."

"Twenty dollars, whoopee."

I giggled at the sound of 'whoopee' in Sam's accent. "Hey, twenty bucks in twenty bucks. I'm making a brand new milkshake and fries fund."

"And since when do you eat?"

I had to fight to not let a frown appear on my face. I hadn't thought he had really noticed. Or, you know, if he had noticed, he hadn't paid any attention to it. I shrugged, a good-natured smile acting on my lips. "Oh believe me, when people aren't around, I pig out."

"So that is how you go so chunky."

I stared blankly at the ground, not responding, the smile gone. No acting this time. He had meant it as a joke, referring to the fact that I had lost more weight since joining the volleyball team, but it wasn't a joke to me.

He picked up on the awkwardness fast, skipping over it quickly, and I was all too willing to let it slip. When I told him I hated scary movies anyways, Sam made sure to describe the plots of his favorite ones, describing terrible stories of gore and insidious things. I argued that Hocus Pocus was plenty scary for me, thank you very much. 

"Besides," I said. "I don't believe in the supernatural, anyways."

"No?"

"No." Humans were the scariest thing on earth, in my experience.

Sam contemplated. "I do not believe in ghosts or demons, but I do believe there are mystical things out there that are beyond our comprehension."

I raised my eyebrow. "Like what?"

He shrugged. "Just, things."

"Witchcraft?"

He smiled. "No. More like... I do not know how to describe it."

"Real eloquent, Sam," I teased.

"Ha."

The bell rang then, and we left it at that. I still had a pit in my empty stomach, though, as we walked to our next class.