Chapter 37: Show Me Something

I clenched my jaw as I packed my volleyball equipment into my beat-up sport bag after practice. Tristan was striding towards me.

"You'll hook up with Durand, but not me?" he spat angrily.

"I'm not hooking up with Sam," I defended. "He and I are dating."

Tristan stepped closer, leaning to put his face to mine while he hissed, "He's an idiot douchebag. He isn't anywhere near as good as I am."

I knew there was no use getting mad. Freaking out was exactly what he wanted, and I wasn't about to give it to him. "Well, thanks for the offer. However, I'm quite content with my current situation, thank you."

Then I darted away quickly to my car and escaped home to the kids and Sam. We did homework and chores and video games with Nate and Paula, and Sam helped me cook dinner.

Despite his best efforts at teaching me, I never got any better at cooking. Left to my own devices, we'd eat nothing but sandwiches, boxed mac and cheese, and scrambled eggs. There were always frozen dinners in the freezer for when something inevitably went wrong and I ruined it.

With Sam, everyone ate incredibly well. Pastas, homemade pizza, elaborate crepes and quiches, Croque Monsuiers and other delectable things. The kids mostly enjoyed what he made, and though I didn't eat much, I generally liked it, too. The frozen dinners were used only on rare occasions, when Nate simply would not ingest anything other than chicken nuggets.

At Birdie's request, Sam even made croissants one night. I attempted to help, but it was such a complicated and delicate process that I ended up just watching and even sampled the fresh, flaky pastries. Birdie was ecstatic, and Sam enjoyed sharing a piece of his culture with us.

When I got to Sam's the next Saturday, I walked in on family movie time with Paula and Emile. A silly animated movie featuring talking animals was playing, and everyone was invested in the story. I sat snuggled up with Sam, and we drank in the sound of Paula laughing. It was such a pure, genuine sound, the sound Mason and Nate made as well. It was so refreshing to my soul to hear innocent children's sweet expression joy. I saw Emile smile and look fondly over at Paula every time she laughed. The sound must soothe his despair, too.

They had absorbed me into their little family, and I treasured it. I had lived so long with one failed family made of blood, but now I had two found families that loved and supported me. I felt so lucky.

Eventually, Sam and I went to go sit on the porch for some fresh air and sunshine. Once outside, I turned to him playfully. "Show me something," I said.

He looked at me in confusion. "What sort of something?"

"Use your power."

He frowned. "I do not like to unless it is necessary." He didn't like it to use it at all, really.

"I want to feel the commanding power again," I explained. "My mind is trying to convince me that I just made it up, that it didn't really happen, but I know that it did."

"You want me to command you?" he asked incredulously. "Do you think that is a good idea?"

Nervousness swarmed in my belly, but this was something I wanted. No, needed. It was true what I said--my brain didn't want to believe the compelling had happened, and I needed another example to convince myself it was real. 

I needed to not forget about his immortal power, especially if I was considering wrapping myself up in the magic of it. "Don't command me to like, take my clothes off or tell you embarrassing secrets or anything like that," I said. "Do something simple."

He considered my request, but nodded and agreed to do as I wished. "Do you give me permission to command you?" he verified my consent.

I sat up straighter. "Yes."

"Stand up," he finally commanded.

It wasn't something I was opposed to doing, so the magic didn't feel strong or overwhelming. It was there, though, and I felt it propel my body upward.

"I am going to have you spin around now," Sam told me.

"Okay."

"Spin in circles, Abigail," he commanded.

When he was using his compelling power, his voice sounded off just a little. Something a little musical and intoxicating was within the sound, as if the magic was pacifying overtaking my will. I put my hands out to the sides, and spun in circles like Sam had commanded. Right then, since I was willing, the magic felt warm and comforting, like it was rewarding me for doing as it wished.

He didn't tell me a speed, though, so I decided to try going faster. I spun quickly around, getting more and more unsteady as I went.

"Slow down, Abigail."

I fought the magic then. I pushed hard against it in my mind and my veins, trying to throw myself against the barrier his words made. I felt like I was slogging through quicksand as I spun, trying to fling myself as fast as I could. I strained against the magic, and it began hurting. Still I refused to give in to it, but my body did slow down.

"Stop spinning Abigail," Sam said. "If you wish."

The magic released its grip on my body, and I stumbled and fell as the barrier was suddenly released.

"Oh," I said, plopping back down on the porch swing, out of breath. "It's not unpleasant if you're willing to do what it wants," I informed him.

"That is good."

"It only hurts when you're not willing. It pulls against you, both mentally and physically. It's very strange." I smiled at him. "Thanks for the experiment."

He crooked a brow at me. "You are welcome, I suppose."

"Now I want you to show me something else," I said. I wanted to explore more of his power.

"I do not like the sound of that," Sam said, skepticism in his voice.

"I want you to show me how strong your body is," I explained. "I want to see how resilient it is."

He thought a moment, then stood up. "Sure?" he asked. 

I nodded.

Without another word, he jogged down the porch steps and walked out into the back yard. I followed him curiously and watched as he climbed up the rose trellis that ran up the side of the house, not stopping until he reached the top of the house. After climbing all the way on the roof, he edged towards where it ended. He made eye contact, and then, as I watched, he jumped.

I screamed as I watched him fall. "SAM!"

He hit the ground with a loud thud that I swore made the ground vibrate. He stayed in the crouch he had landed in, looking at me. He wasn't broken, but was whole. It was as if his bones were made of iron and weren't affected at all by the way he crashed on the ground.

I stared at him a moment, trying to wake myself out of shock. Once I was slightly composed, blood coming back into my brain again, I stormed over to him and pushed him with trembling hands. "Don't do that!"

"You wanted to see something!" he protested, standing back up.

"Well, tell me before you go and try to die! I was expecting you to scratch yourself or something."

He shrugged. "I go for drama."

"Apparently!" I huffed out a ragged breath and crashed down into a heap on the grass, my hand on my still-pounding chest. "You scared me."

He smiled triumphantly. He hadn't been going for that, and the fact that I freaked out for his safety proved that I cared for him. Not that he needed the proof, but I imagined the reminder was satisfying. He took my hand and rubbed it between his gently while I just rested beside him.

Man, he felt so good.