Chapter 15: Sam's Truth, Part I

"Abigail, I know you can hear me."

I was dressed as a 1920's style flapper dripped in blood—a bit too sexy for my likings, but I hadn't picked my costume—posed perfectly still on a table at the warehouse turned haunted house. My job was to stay as still as possible, then slowly turn and look at people, eyes wide and unblinking.

Sam had followed me to the haunted house.

I ignored him, even though his face was only inches from mine. I felt the heat from his breath fanning over my cheek. I couldn't quite decide whether I was ignoring him because I was supposed to be a mannequin, or if I was just using that as an excuse to get away from the strangeness of the day.

"Listen to me," he demanded.

It happened again then, my body did exactly what he commanded. All the commotion around me, all the screams and horror music, it all faded away. My mind zoned in on Sam's voice, and nothing else. Like nothing else mattered.

"Abigail, we need to talk," he said. It was creepy, since he sounded normal, while everything else sounded distorted and swimmy like I was hearing it from underwater. "If you won't do it willingly, then I'm going to have to make you. And I promise that I will."

What in the world was happening to me?

When I didn't even blink in response to him, Sam quickly grabbed me around the middle and pulled me off the table. He pulled me into his arms in one smooth motion and quickly proceeded towards the exit, carrying me.

"Sam!" I finally yelled, grabbing onto his shoulders for balance. "What are you doing? Let me down!"

"Shh."

"Sam, I'm working! You can't just pull me out!"

"I already talked to someone at the front. You are free to leave."

"Sam, really! Let me down!"

"Stop causing a scene, Abigail. I will put you down in a minute."

The strangeness happened again. Immediately, my desire to fight back vanished. My mind went limp. It was as if some wave of power came over me, a wave of power apparently coming from Sam.

Sam?

Yes. From him.

It was such a strange feeling, being overwhelmed by his power. If he could command me to shut up, and to listen to him, and freeze, what else could he do? "How did you...?"

"Shh, quiet."

I closed my mouth and stared at him with wide, frightened eyes. Not knowing how afraid I should be. What the heck was going on? Sam shifted my weight in his arms as he pushed open a side door of the warehouse and proceeded into the parking lot.

It was as if I was nothing more than a handful of dried leaves, that it took absolutely no effort for him to carry me. I was thin, but I wasn't nothing. He made his way to his car, and then gently let me down.

I stumbled back a few steps from him as he unlocked the car and opened the passenger's side. "Come on," he said, waiting impatiently for me to climb inside. I stepped closer, but wasn't compelled to get in.

"No way."

"Abigail, please get in the car."

"I'm not going to willingly let you kidnap me!" I cried.

"I am not kidnapping you, Abigail. Do you not trust me?"

I crossed my arms, suddenly feeling cold. "I'm not so sure at the moment."