Chapter 58: Blue

The day before I graduated my program, Sam came to visit one last time. He'd be there to pick me up the next day, but that afternoon, he came for one last a visit.

I beamed as I saw him before he saw me, and was able to see his reaction to the change in me. Surprise spread across his features when he spotted me, his gaze turning to awe and wonderment.

"Abigail," he breathed.

"Do you like it?" I asked, rocking excitedly from side to side.

"Abigail, it is gorgeous."

It was.

After all the weeks of my hard work and acceptance of what happened to me, my aura had finally showed up. I finally had a color-cloud of my very own surrounding me, a light blue mist around my edges.

I'd gasped when I'd noticed it in the mirror a week prior, dropping my toothbrush and toothpaste on the floor of the bathroom with a clatter. No longer was my aura hidden from me, but had emerged in all its glory. And boy, was it glorious to me.

Sam clasped my face in his hands, eyes examining my edges as he took it in. "It is so beautiful," he said.

"I love it so much," I admitted. I put my hand out in front of me, marveling at the thin edging of blue around my body. "It's so pretty!"

"It is stunning!"

"So," I said playfully, grin still in place. "If I remember correctly, I'm grounded and empathetic."

His smile softened. "I already knew that."

"I didn't. It's nice to see."

He leaned in and gave me a gentle kiss on the forehead. "You have done so much healing to get to this point, and I am so proud of you."

I pulled back to look him in the eye, more glee coursing inside of me. "There's something else."

"Hm?"

I took his hand, and pulled him along after me to the garden. "Come on!"

He happily followed after me, laughing along at my eagerness. "Just tell me," he said.

"Not yet! We need to be alone."

He didn't object, just let me lead him along until we made our way to a secluded part of the garden. I whirled around to face him, and he grabbed me to steady me.

"I have to tell you something," I told him.

He raised a brow. "Oh?"

I bit my lip, trying but failing to hold back my smile. I knew it would work this time.

"Samuel Durand," I started, then paused.

"Yes?" he asked, slow and suspicious.

"Sam," I started again, the moment feeling both heavy with the gravity of what was about to happen and yet full of joy, too. "I officially Accept you as my soulmate," I declared. "I Accept you as my only companion for this life, and if it may be, I forsake all others in the next."

He looked at me, stunned. "What?" he breathed, hardly believing it.

I laughed at his shocked expression. "I Accept you, Sam!"

And finally, it happened. Finally, the magic took my words and my Acceptance, and it flooded through us. We stared at each other as a well of love opened up inside of us, filling us with the most exquisite, tender intimacy. My affection, which I thought was soul deep only a moment before, amplified and soared to heights I'd never imagined. My love for him swelled over and over again until I was full to bursting.

It was a glimpse into what we would have if we had eternity together to keep building our relationship with one another. I was filled with the deepest level of closeness and care, attraction and trust, and I knew even if everything in the world went wrong, we'd still have love and satisfaction in each other. I'd never felt so safe.

Sam. My Sam.

I couldn't help the joyful giggles from escaping me. I was consumed by delight, and as Sam burst into laughter with me, I knew he felt it, too. He snatched me into his arms and swung me around as we giggled like lovesick fools. Lovesick we may be, we weren't fools. We were equals, we were in love, and we were never going to lose that new connection between us. Sam set me down and clutched me in his embrace, and I smashed my lips to his to kiss and devoured him. He hauled me up against him and kissed me hungrily.

"I adore you," Sam breathed once we had broken apart, panting for breath.

"You're mine now, for eternity. I'm never letting you go," I told him.

"Good," he said, and he kissed me again.