Chapter 36: Sleeping In

I woke up naturally, no alarm blaring. My limbs were heavy with a long rest, my eyes slow to open. They felt swollen from all my crying the night before, crusty in the corners. But I felt better, much better. Peaceful, even. Calm.

Everything with Sam, we were just going to not worry about it, as if I wasn't his destined soulmate and I had a decision to make about whether or not I wanted to Accept that. We were just going to continue like it wasn't there. We were just going to keep living.

I mean, he had eternity to work it out. And if I had survived the last few years, I thought that it was a sign that I was going to be around for a little while longer. We had time. And he wanted me to use it wisely.

Speaking of time... I took out my phone and started in surprise when I saw the time. 1:24 PM.

No, oh no! I jumped out of bed, throwing my Mickey Mouse covers on the ground, running out to the kitchen to check the clock there. Oh no, I had overslept!

My foot crunched on something, however, when I booked it out into the hallway. It was a piece of green construction paper, a note Birdie had left for me.

Morning, Bee, it read.

Don't freak out, but I turned your alarm off. Sam called me this morning, asking me to. He said you had a hard night last night and that you just needed to sleep. Babe, if you were having a hard time, you could have told me about it. You need to take care of yourself. Don't push it. You know I'm worried about your health—Please be careful.

Take the day off. Sam will get your homework for you and come see you after school.

Go sleep some more. Love you.

-Birdie

A few hours later, Sam did come by with my homework and Paula, after I'd slept some more and picked up the boys. "Thank you," I said when he came to the door. Paula darted inside to go hang out with Nate, but Sam stood on the doorstep, politely waiting to be let in.

"Hm? You are welcome?" Sam asked, as if he wasn't sure I was really thanking him for helping me ditch school. It didn't seem like a big deal to him, but his thoughtfulness meant a lot to me.

"You always know the right thing to do."

"Oh. Well, I am glad I could help." He said it like a question instead of a statement. I just laughed, pulling him inside.

After dinner, Sam set up an art project for the kids, having them cut up and glue construction paper to make flowers. Nate loved tactile things, so he needed no encouragement to get make a mess with glue. He enjoyed the project, but enjoyed Sam's attention more. Paula delighted in it, as well.

"That looks great, Nate," he told the little boy. "Your flowers are wonderful!-I love the colors you chose."

"Did I do good, too, Sam?" Paula asked, searching for a compliment.

Sam just smiled. "As always, Paula. You both did very well, and I love how different your flowers came out. Let us hang them up where everyone can see." 

The kids raced to the wall that was covered in all the different projects Sam had helped them do, from painting and drawing to paper-mache masks and mosaic tiles. It was a shrine to both art and the kids, and we were all fiercely proud of it.

Sam was good with the kids, full of encouragement and gentle instruction . Combined with his art skills, he was a great instructor, and the kids adored him.

All in all, it was a fun afternoon.

When Birdie came home after we'd made and eaten dinner, Sam and I escaped outside to say goodbye for the night. I had a paper to write, so I was going to stay home instead of spending the evening at his house.

Like always, I didn't want to part, even though I knew it was the responsible thing to do. We stepped out onto the front porch for some privacy. I turned to him and wrapped his arms around me. Feeling bold, I tilted my face up to his and said, "Kiss me."

With dancing eyes, he kissed me gently, still holding me close even when his mouth left mine. I let out a happy sigh, feeling warmth blossom inside of me, a near ache inside my chest. 

One arm still around me, Sam put his finger on the hollow behind my right ear. "Can I kiss you here?" he murmured.

Nervous excitement coursed inside me, but I checked myself for any for trauma response. Panic lever: none. Feeling relieved, I nodded with anticipation and felt his lips press onto my skin. His mouth was warm and soft and he kissed me slow. Shivers danced across my skin, warmth pooling in my belly.

After pulling away, he paused before touching the same spot behind my other ear. "Can I kiss you here?" he repeated. His voice was low and intimate, something I'd never heard before. I wanted more of it. I nodded, and once again his mouth pressed against my neck.

He kept going, brushing his fingertips against my throat. "Here?"

"Mhm," I hummed, feeling like putty under his ministrations. He kissed my neck on one side, his warm breath fanning my skin, then asked permission for the other side. "One more," I whispered.

He took his time pressing the kiss to my skin, lips parted as he kissed me openmouthed. My knees trembled as I leaned into his chest.

"One more," I amended. His lips were quirked up in a smile as he kissed my neck again. "One more," I said again.

Instead, he pulled his sweet mouth away from me, and I made a sad little mewl of disappointment without meaning to. "That is all for tonight," he decided.

Breath unsteady, I whispered, "I would have let you do more."

He smiled, sweeping hair from my face and tucking it behind my ear. "Where is the fun in that? The point is to leave you wanting more."

He and Paula departed after that, and man, did he leave me wanting more.