Chapter 57: Visitors

A month into the program, Sam was able to visit. As I turned the corner to meet him in the lobby, I instantly felt relief at the sight of him. He looked nervous waiting by the front desk, but all I felt was joy. I went straight into his arms, hugging him tight with a sigh of contentment.
"Hi," I breathed, so very comfortable in his arms.

"Hi," he whispered back. He held me to him, hands pressing me tight against his body. "Words cannot express how happy I am to hold you."

We rocked gently side to side as we hung on to each other, before I pulled away to kiss him. He held my face as he pressed his mouth against mine. I sighed again in pleasure.

He pulled back to look at me, not releasing his hold on me. He took in my appearance, drinking the sight of me. I preened before him, happy with my changing appearance. He smoothed the back of his fingers down my cheek. "You look radiant," he said.

My appearance had started to transform. When I came to the recovery center, I told them about my eating disorder and that I wanted to change. They immediately started monitoring my food and giving me support in understanding and changing my eating habits. It, too, was impossibly hard, and at times I hated it and regretted saying anything. But after a few weeks of eating better, I'd started to change both emotionally and physically. I'd gained a little weight, a small amount appearing in my cheeks as well as my body. My hair felt less brittle and my skin more supple. I liked the changes.

Sam looked panicked after the words had left his mouth. "No, I am not supposed to comment on your appearance," he chastised himself. Words rushed, he amended, "It is just, you look happier."

I laughed. "It's okay. I like the changes."

"I cannot imagine how hard you must be working."

I smiled. "I'm proud of myself."

"You should be. I admire your strength so much."

I took him on the tour of the center again, this time having anecdotes for each room, and I introduced him to both staff and my roommate.

A week into my time at the center, my first roommate left, having completed her stay. Her aura was bright and light, and her emotions were happy and excited. The program had worked for her. She encouraged me to give it a shot and work through it. She was a success story, and it was encouraging to see that it had worked for someone. It gave me hope.

My next roommate was weepy and scared, and I felt less encouraged by her attitude. She'd just gotten out of her abusive relationship, and hadn't had time to process it or learn to live with it. At first we were annoyed by each other, me with her endless crying, and her with my surliness. But as the weeks went on, we reached the same emotional state, accepting what had happened to us, and accepting the work of the program. We'd grow closer, and were a support to each other.

"This is Brynn," I introduced when we found my roommate out back.

"So this is the infamous Sam," Brynn said, exaggeratedly taking him in. Sam stood there awkwardly, not realizing she was joking. "I hardly expected you to be real."

"Shut up," I said mildly, leaning into Sam. He held my hand tight, giving me a gentle, loving look.

Brynn sighed. "I can't tell whether I should be disgusted or charmed by your affection," she said.

"Charmed," Sam and I both said together.

"Ugh," she said. "Your sweetness is giving me a stomachache. I'll see you later."

After she disappeared back inside, I led Sam over to the rocking chairs overlooking the lake. It was beautiful, and for a few minutes we sat in silence and took in the sight.