Chapter 27: The Gala

The anxiety really started creeping in as we stepped into the town car and rode to the ballroom the party was being held at. Christmas was only a few days away, and holiday traffic was a nightmare. The car barely crept along, irritating me. I tried distracting myself by watching the lights and people we passed as Paula and Sam chatted away. They were talking about Paula's dress and how pretty she looked. Sam gushed compliment to her, talking excitedly about the party and asking about all the friends she was looking forward to seeing.

I was too nervous to chip in, the nerves making me bounce my leg and fidget with my fingers. I couldn't believe I'd agreed to this. Who was I to infiltrate a party of immortals? I would be an imposter amongst the elite beings.

Sam noticed my anxiety and put a gentle hand on my knee and leaned in to whisper in my ear. "You will fit in perfectly," he reassured in a gentle voice. "You have no reason to be nervous."

I blew out a shaky breath at his words. Were my thoughts that obvious, plastered all over my face, or did he just know me really well?

It was just one party, I told myself. I'd only have to be an imposter for a few hours.

All too soon, we reached our destination and Sam chivalrously came around to my door and helped me and Paula out. I marveled at the beautiful hotel before me. It was even fancier than the one Sam booked for us to stay in.

Tucking my arm in his, he took Paula's hand with his free one and led us up the stairs, inside, and into the ballroom. The room was filled with elegantly dressed immortals. Aside from Emile, Paula, and Sam, I'd never seen any other immortal, let alone been in a ballroom full of them.

I was fascinated to see that they weren't all supernaturally gorgeous. Since Sam and Emile were both attractive, I'd thought that maybe that was the case with all of them, but it wasn't. Everyone held themselves with confidence which made them more appealing, but everyone looked like regular people. It was comforting, and I felt just the smallest bit less intimidated.

"Sam!" We turned and saw a Hispanic woman in a bright blue dress darting towards us. A distinctly nervous look came across Sam's face at the sight of her, turning pale. He shot a flustered glance my way, before putting his arms out to catch the woman as she flung herself happily on him. "My love, how are you?" she gushed. "It is so good to see you!"

Sam pulled away from the woman, but she took his hands and held them in hers, keeping him close. "I am well, Roseanna. And yourself?"

"Wonderful, now that you're here." She winked as she beamed up at him, then turned the excited smile over to me. "And who is this beauty?"

Sam put a reassuring hand on my back. "This is Abigail Shea. Abigail, this is Roseanna, my... friend."

Roseanna's eyebrows shot up. "Friend? Is that what they call lovers these days?"

I choked on my spit.

"We are not lovers," Sam rushed to say, throwing me another flustered look.

"Alas, not anymore," Roseanna lamented with a dramatic sigh. She turned to me and informed me, "I found my Beloved Shelby a few decades ago, so Sam and I broke off our... friendship," she teased, smile growing wider again.

"We were never serious," Sam said uncomfortably. Why was he so embarrassed for me to meet one of his past, uh, girlfriends? It was a little uncomfortable hearing her call him her lover—his sex life was so none of my business—but she seemed so nice that it didn't matter.

She smiled and agreed with a wistful smile, "No, it was just a bit of fun to waste the time away." Her voice held distinct nostalgia in it, before continuing, "So, Sam, have you found your Beloved?" She turned to me, eagerness in her eyes. "Is it you whom he has been waiting for?"